Hair Loss/hair loss due to seborrheic dermatitis

Hello sir,
         i'm suffering from seborrheic dermatitis. I have it for three years.Sir i got treatment but i never get rid of this disease.I lost approximately 85% of my head hair through seborrheic dermatitis usually it appear on my chest ,scalp,internal ears, nosal sides and on eyebrows.My age is 21 years and i am really worried  about my hairs.Sir kindly suggest me any medicine or treatment so that i get back my hairs with out hair transplant.What should i do to get back my hairs.Sir i will be waiting for your reply.
 Thank you sir.

Most dermatologist believe the irritation seen in Seborrheic Dermatitis is due to a yeast growing in the oil glands. It is a chronic condition and many patients are able to suppress the dermatitis with anti yeast pills as well as anti yeast shampoos and creams. Cortisone lotions are frequently used to control the red itchy rash but that should be used in addition to using something which will kill off the yeast. Stress frequently causes Seborrheic Dermatitis to get worse. This is probably due to changes in the oil produced in the oil glands due to hormones produced at times of stress. Stress also causes hairs to change their growth cycles and as a result a lot of hair is seen falling out about four weeks after the stress starts and takes months before the new hairs are seen growing back where they are changing cycles from active growth to end stage and back again to active growth phases.
Seborrheic Dermatitis can increase the number of hairs lost per day and perhaps even cause some thinning by constant injury to the hair follicles but in the vast majority of patients with this condition it NEVER causes permanent hair loss. Stress alone can cause shedding of hair which will result in thinning of up to 70% of your hair but much of that grows back four to six months after the stress stops. I would suggest you  continue to use a 1% zinc pyrithione shampoo daily and if the scalp is still scaly see your dermatologist and ask if you can take Nizoral pills by mouth 200mg daily for 2 weeks. That would kill most all the yeast in your hair follicles and will allow normal growth to start.
From my website-- stress as a cause of hair loss

Stress can cause a type of hair loss called telogen effluvium. This condition is not caused by the general accumulated stress of ordinary interactions with people at home and at work, but rather by sudden severe emotional or physiological incidents. Severe stressful events can cause some or most actively growing hair follicles to prematurely shift into the regression phase, and then the resting phase, during which the hairs fall out easily.

There is usually a delay of a few weeks to a few months before the shedding is noticeable, but after this delay the shedding seems to occur quite suddenly. Because the shedding is delayed, this type of hair loss is often a mystery to the person suffering the condition. The stressful event that triggered it is frequently forgotten, and it is rarely thought to be connected with the “new problem.”

Examples of sudden severe emotionally stressful events include the death or terminal illness of a family member or close friend, marriage, divorce, and unexpected job loss. Severe physiological stressful events shock the body, and some examples are heart attacks, major surgery, and illnesses with prolonged high fever such as malaria, viral pneumonia, and severe cases of the flu.

In most cases of telogen effluvium, the hair follicles recover and soon shift back to the regular growth cycle.

However, repeated instances of telogen effluvium can result in premature hair loss in people predisposed to lose their hair late in life. The average growth cycle of a hair follicle takes about five years, but each follicle is “genetically programmed” for only a limited number of growth cycles. For example, if a particular hair follicle were “genetically programmed” for only ten growth cycles, after about fifty years that follicle would stop producing new hairs. When all the follicles at the hairline or crown of the head are “genetically programmed” this way, a receding hairline or bald spot appears after all the growth cycles for the follicles in those areas have been cycled through.

Each incidence of telogen effluvium uses up one “life” of the affected hair follicles. So instead of having a receding hairline or bald spot at age fifty, the hair loss may occur a few years earlier. This is not a significant issue if telogen effluvium occurs once or twice in a lifetime; however, accelerated hair loss can result from repeated severe stressful events, if each instance triggers a new round of telogen effluvium.

I had a patient who was totally bald when I met him at age seventy, and he had lost all his hair by age twenty-two. He had worked on the Panama Canal fifty years earlier, and for two straight years starting when he was twenty he suffered repeated bouts of severe fever from episodes of malaria. Each time he suffered from malaria induced fever he experienced telogen effluvium, lost what hair he had, and his hair follicles lost another “life.” After ten or fifteen malaria stress cycles, at the age of twenty-two, he had the hair he would have had at age seventy. Which unfortunately for him was no hair at all.
"From the Mayo Clinic -

A yeast (fungus) called Malassezia. This fungus is one of the normal microscopic life forms that grow, along with certain bacteria, in your skin's oily secretion (sebum). Creams, foams or lotions containing an antifungal agent, such as ketoconazole (Ketozole, Extina), often help reduce flare-ups, supporting the idea that this yeast is a contributing factor. But seborrheic dermatitis itself isn't considered an infection, and it's not contagious.
Change of season. Episodes are often worse in winter.
Neurological conditions. Seborrheic dermatitis may occur more frequently in people who have Parkinson's disease and certain other neurological disorders.
Stress and fatigue. Stressful life events and situations may help trigger an episode or make it worse through mechanisms that aren't yet understood. The role of neurological disorders and stress may be related through effects on the nervous system.
HIV/AIDS. Seborrheic dermatitis may occur more commonly and tend to be more severe in those with HIV/AIDS."
A good overview  with photos of the condition :‎
What is the cause of seborrhoeic dermatitis?

Seborrhoeic dermatitis is believed to be an inflammatory reaction related to a proliferation of a normal skin inhabitant, a yeast called Malassezia (formerly known as Pityrosporum ovale). The main species found in the scalp is M. globosa. It produces toxic substances that irritate the skin. Patients with seborrhoeic dermatitis appear to have a reduced resistance to the yeast.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website