Hair Loss/Severe hair shedding after rebonding

Hello doctor,

I'm a 28 year old female from India. I had rebonding done on my hair last July end and by this february I developed severe hair shedding from roots. Its maximum after I shampoo my hair(I stopped the Loreal liss shampoo and use Dove hair fall therapy now) and leave it to dry naturally. the hair loss has still not stopped. I was asked to take B12 vitamin tabs O.D and I have been taking them religiously for 4 months now. But I still don't see any improvement. My hair is thinning really bad. Not on the crown but lower down(My hair comes to mid back).

I use coconut oil now but I notice more hair shedding after I massage my head.I'm wary of washing my hair now, since the hair fall is more then. I lose more than 100 strands approximately everyday. I have many baby hairs but sometimes I see ever baby hairs shedding now.Will this ever stop ? what should I do for the hair fall to stop ? Will I be able to get my lost hair and peace of mind back ?

Should I stop oiling my hair  or is it okay If I apply on my scalp slightly ?(I have bristly hair naturally and can only be tamed if I apply oil-That was the reason I went for rebonding, which I severely regret now)

Its been a year since I had rebonding done now and hair fall is still the same.Will this hair fall stop ?

Please help me.I'm on the verge of depression.I can't help but get tensed when I see the hairs fallen on the floor and blocking the drain and on the comb.

Please help.

The type of hair loss you experienced is called traction alopecia and almost all of it will grow back since you only did this for six months. It is normal to see more than 100 hairs come out if you shampoo every other day. The average for the week should average 100 or less per day. The large number of small hairs are those that were pulled out and are now trying to regrow. To strengthen the hairs in their attempt to regrow I suggest you get Regaine for men (5% minoxidil) and apply it once a day in the morning after a shampoo. Apply it daily to the area where you feel you have the most loss and leave it on until you shampoo again in one or two days. It may take another six months for the hairs to grow in enough for you to be able to feel them. They take 3 months to change their life cycles and only grow 1/2 inch per month so you will have to be patient. It will grow back.

Here is an article in the Daily Mail which shows dramatic loss of hair in women using extensions. I add this so that you know you are not alone in having this side effect. In some cases the hair loss is permanent but I doubt you will have that problem since you only had done this for six months and it was mainly on the back. The constant tug along the front hairline with tight pony tails can lead to permanent loss of hair which is much more noticeable than what you have experienced.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website