Hair Loss/androgenic alopecia

Question
I have been suffering from hair loss for about 2 years. It started after I went off my birth control. I've been diagnosed with androgenic alopecia. I've seen many dermatologists. I'm currently taking ortho-cyclen and 100 mg spironalactone daily. My hair loss has only progressed. My doctor will not prescribe avodart. I'm considering switching my birth control to yasmin or pursuing laser therapy (laser cap). Which would you recommend as the next course of treatment? This has been such a devastating experience. I'm only 38 years old and did not expect to have to deal with this at this point in my life. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
The standard treatment for AGA is to treat it as if you have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome PCOS.
If you have also had irregular periods then you may have PCOS even if they can't find the cyst. The goal is to lower your DHT as much as possible no matter whether it is normal or not. Any amount of DHT can tell hairs to age and die off IF you have inherited the baldness genes. It is possible to get them from both sides of the family and end up with more than either your mother or father if both gave you their baldness genes.
 At this point I'd suggest switching to Yaz. I personally do not prescribe Avodart to women who are still capable of becoming pregnant because of the possibility of it affecting a developing male fetus. It has a 5 week half life and therefore could affect a developing fetus months after stopping the pill. Finasteride is a safer pill to take in that it has a 8 hour half life and is out of your body in 3 days. The male genitalia don't start developing until the last trimester so it should give a pregnant woman several months to determine if she is pregnant and to be able to stop finasteride before the last two trimesters. This is not an accepted therapy because of the risks involved. Should a baby boy have a small penis at delivery the doctor who prescribed the finasteride would be the one taken to court. Despite the medical logic involved in being able to use this therapy there is still great resistance to it becoming the standard therapy for AGA. LaserCap ( www.LaserCap.us)may well help stimulate your hairs to grow thicker and longer but it works much as minoxidil does in stimulating growth and not blocking the DHT so the ongoing AGA may continue despite the artificial stimulation with laser light therapy.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>