Hair Loss/hair improving???

Question
my temple
my temple  

my part
my part  
I have had CTE for the last four years, some of it brought on by my own stress about the hair fall, but also from low ferritin and vitamin D.  Now I've had less hair shed, still see some of those 4-6 inch long wispy hairs in my hair shed, but thank God there are less than 10% of those.  In my temples, they look receded, but looking at pictures, at 18 years old, they've been like that for over ten years.  But I do notice, that I shed from that temple area some hairs that are normal thickness but only 1 inch long.  I don't want to stress about this, so I try and think good thoughts.  couldn't it be that because those are the first hairs on my sides/temples, they have a natural short terminal length, and it's normal to shed once in a while a short terminal hair of one inch??  I don't use heat on those little hairs, blow dry once a week, but not major.  They're not broken, but terminal.  Also, having CTE for four years, does that mean by 50 I'll have no hair?  It's hard to be happy about regrowth when you have future consequences awaiting!  Thanks--I just could use some positivity.

Answer
Andrea,
 Your CTE may have led to early AGA showing up as recession in the temple areas. The fine hairs in the receded hair line looks as if this is more recent than having been present for ten years. Most likely you have inherited a frontal recession pattern which is more commonly seen in Male Pattern Balding. That doesn't mean anything more than some women have the frontal temple recession instead of thinning all over as many women do-AND - some men get thin all over instead of having a frontal recession or a bald spot. You may end up keeping this same hairline for many many years. I suggest you apply a small amount of 5% Rogaine for men to the area in the AM and after dinner-- Half of the regular amount, so that would be 1/2 ml twice a day- or just enough to feel the area is damp. This will help keep those hairs in the active anagen growth phase.
   Having CTE for 4 years will not mean you will be bald at age 50 especially since your part looks very good.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>