Hair Loss/hair loss

Question
im a 23 year old female , my hair loss started suddenly last November all i used to lose like a lot of hair more than 500 strands per day ,my hair also suddenly changed texture became more dry and brittle where as it used to be soft and shiny. 5 months before my hair loss i started eating very clean and taking multi vitamins and vit D and B12 injections because i had very very low vitamin b12 and Vit D i used to get a lot of burning sensations in my body and body aches.anyway my vitamin level returned to normal and i maintained my vitamin intake and stopped the b12 injections because my level is now great.i got depressed because it seemed that i was healthy all of a sudden i started losing a lot of hair. i did a straightening hair treatment 6 years before the hair loss so i dont think its really related . ive done a lot of blood tests that came back normal with very slight dec in Sodium and albumin and Mg like 0.1 or something. ive also checked my thyroid before my loss it was like normal towards the active side then when i checked it after the hair loss it was normal towards the middle side so my doc told to take euthyrox 25 microgram to rule out it as being the cause for any loss for a few months i didnt really find a difference i took for like 5 months then i stopped with no any inc in hair loss while on and off the treatment (same rate) .one more thing although my thryoid is normal i was found  antithyroid antibodies positive and no other autoimmune conditions i checked everything.my hair loss slowed down  by february  i lose like 100 a day but i comb very very gently since my hair started i feel if i comb normally i would have lost all my hair by now. when my hair loss started i used to feel my scalp is very sore this feeling greatly decreased but  i get it very little. i ve a lot of small hairs on my scalp and all my lost hair is from the root with white the white bulb at the end.i also noticed some variation in thickness a long the length of the same hair in some strands. another thing i noticed my hair has a lot of  white dust not powdery dust but like white flying strands towards the end and some times also some strands are sticking to each other with something i dunno what. My hair get entangled and knotted easily which was never a problem before . I really dont know what im suffering from , is it telogen effluvium knowing that im a person who is always stressed and my hair loss was sudden and if so whether it will be back and i also want to if im having any infections  linked to the hair brittleness and dust in my hair i went to a lot of dermatologists but i really dont feel they really care or are trust worthy. I am having regrowth but my hair is still with no volume at all very thin. i lost hair from my sides but one side was very prominent and still is although it filled a lot . One more thing i ve some cysts in my ovary but all my hormones are totally normal and i dont have symptoms of PCOS  but before my hair loss by 30 days i visited a gyno  and she said i must be put on metformin and i took it  for 20 days and i stopped as i dont feel i need it at all as another trusted doctor said i need no treatments these cysts will go away on its own then i started my hair loss. Pls help me :(

Answer
Dear Nancy,

It seems that you have taken the normal precautions and tests.  You should not have to baby your hair or be extra gentle when combing or washing.  When you shampoo you are trying to clean the scalp thoroughly.  Being extra gentle or not washing regularly or thoroughly enough is only putting off the inevitable---loose hairs will fall out either now or next week.  Keep the scalp clean (a good clarifying shampoo); use hot water; minimal conditioner  (avoid leave-ins and hair styling oils and other such products).  Increase blood flow to the scalp by daily exercise and especially 2 times a day scalp massage-------DO NOT RUB, but place fingertips in one area and stretch the skin for 5-6 rotations, then move a few inches away and continue the process: see this video for a visual example  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-VpB00X9WQ The white flakes should disappear with a proper cleansing regimen.

Good Luck.  

Hair Loss

John Nikolaou