Hair Loss/telogen effulvium

QUESTION: Hi, I am experiencing regrowth after telogen effluvium and I have found the hair is growing so slow, I am still yet to see any growth in some places but most of the other hair are extremely fine, will all the hairs grow back to their original thickness? because I do not want some of my hairs to be thick and the rest to be thin, also why is it taking so long? I experienced 3 month shedding after a crash diet which I stopped before this happened also does coconut oil clog my follicles? and should I not leave this treatment in?

My hair started growing about a year after it fell out, it has now been a year and a half and the hairs are still thin at the top and some are no where to be seen, I am yet to see a difference in volume. My vitamin D level is around 40-50.

Do you think their has been any severe damage to my follicles? and has my growth been affected as to why my hair is growing so slow?

ANSWER: Telogen effluvium does not cause damage to hair follicles. With telogen effluvium the hair growth cycle gets disrupted but the follicles remain intact. With telogen effluvium the hair that was lost prematurely does get replaced with a new growing hair. If your telogen effluvium (excessive shedding) only lasted for three months--and that was a year and a half ago, your hair should be back to normal by now.
Because this is not so for you, you may have a different condition. I may be able to help you if you send more information: Do you still have period of excessive shedding? Did the excessive shedding last only three months and then go back to completely normal shedding the way it was prior to incident? Do you have any areas of baldness or extreme thinning? How extensive was the hair loss in the three month shedding period?
Coconut oil is fine as long as hair is not currently fragile and falling.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

QUESTION: Hi, many thanks for the reply, After the 3 months shedding I did not experience any excessive shedding everything just went back to normal, I didn't notice any regrowth until a year later, it was very slow and I have no baldness spots or extreme thinning. I don't feel the loss was extensive I feel I have lost 70%. at first I lost my crown hair because I brushed them out first then towards the end of the three months I lost the most because I brushed out all the telogen hairs whilst during that time I was afraid to brush due to the fear of losing more. I have only notice regrowth on the top of my head some are thin and some are 4 inches long but the rest how comes it is so slow?

ANSWER: Telogen effluvium rarely causes 70 percent of hairs to fall out in such a short period of time. Even in the most severe cases of chronic telogen effluvium hair loss is usually less than 50 percent. The hair loss you are describing does not sound like telogen effluvium. Acute telogen effluvium comes on suddenly. The shedding lasts less than six months. A new hair begins growing to replace the hair that was lost. The follicles do not remain empty. If you had acute telogen effluvium your hair would be back to normal by now--one and a half years later.
Chronic telogen effluvium can cause a noticeable decrease in volume because the excessive shedding is continual. Even though new hairs are growing in, they cannot keep up with the rate of hairs falling out. Because your excessive shedding stopped after three months you do not have this condition.
Certain forms of alopecia areata can cause extensive hair loss in a short period of time. With alopecia areata the follicles are not damaged but they can remain empty for long periods of time. With alopecia areata the new growth can come in fine and can also be un-pigmented.
Please think back to the period before hair loss began. Please tell me more about the crash diet you were on. Were you taking any diet aids or mega-doses of any supplements? Do you have any other health issues? Did you have any immunization or flu shot? Were you on any medication? Exposed to toxin? Any additional information may provide clues.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss

QUESTION: Hi thank you for the reply, I do not know exactly how much hair I lost maybe because my hair is very thick that it feels a little different now. so I am unaware of how much I lost. After I was diagnosed by the doctor she gave me iron tablets to take and vitamin D tablets. I did take hair vitamin tablets for a while which had B12 and biotin and such but only for a short time and not excessively, and that was it. sometimes  I noticed my iron dropped suddenly last year I had to take them again to raise it.

Low iron/ferritin is common with hair loss disorders. It is important to know why your iron is low and why it drops suddenly. If iron deficiency is not due to inadequate dietary intake or excessive menstruation, there may be an underlying cause such as gluten intolerance, mal-absorption condition, thyroid imbalance, etc.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.