Hair Loss/dhea/pregnenolone

Question
QUESTION: Hello~ I know that Dhea and pregnenolone caused my hair loss, but I am unclear as to whether it will grow back. I stopped both supplements over two months ago.   Could you please tell me the likelihood that I will begin to grow back my hair and if so, is there anything I can do to boost its regrowth?
Thank you so much

ANSWER: Supplementing with DHEA and/or pregnenolone can cause hair loss in some people, especially when taken for prolonged periods of time in high doses. The types of hair loss that can be involved with hormonal supplements include androgenetic alopecia, alopecia areata or telogen effluvium. Do you know what type of hair loss you are experiencing? Please let me know so I may help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

QUESTION: I was hoping you would tell me what type of hair loss would be involved with the type of supplements I was taking.
How would I would determine what type it is?  It looks like male patterned--temples and at the top of my head, but generally all over thinning.

Answer
I will try to help you determine what type of hair loss you may be experiencing. The three main types of hair loss that can occur due to these supplements are as follows:
Androgenetic Alopecia
Medications or supplements that influence the hormonal environment can trigger the onset of androgenetic alopecia in those who have a genetic predisposition for this condition. With androgenetic alopecia you will notice more thinning than actual shedding. The thinning is most prominent on the top of head. Individual hairs in this area become thinner and thinner with each new growth cycle. The growing (anagen) stage of the hair growth cycle becomes shorter also. The thinner, shorter growing hairs provide less scalp coverage. Androgenetic alopecia develops slowly and gradually rather than suddenly. Shedding sometimes precedes the onset.
Telogen Effluvium
Telogen effluvium can also occur from these supplements. Telogen effluvium causes excessive shedding from all over the scalp. The shedding occurs approximately three months after the cause. If the supplements were the cause of telogen effluvium, the excessive shedding will decrease once the body heals from the effects.
Alopecia Areata
I have encountered persons who developed alopecia areata after using these types of hormonal supplements. The most common forms of alopecia areata causes smooth bald areas completely void of hair. Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder. Persons who develop this condition have a genetic predisposition for it.

Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/overcomefemalehairloss.html  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig