Hair Loss/Hair loss

Question
Hello,I have been suffering hair loss now for the past 10 years.The pattern is that it starts every May to June right through to September October and I lose a lot of my hair.During all of this time I have been using Regaine for women without a break.My hair always grows back again after the thinning and I have no bald patches.However this time since it started thinning in June it has continued to do so and it is now January and I am very worried as I thought I had it under control.Regaine does not stop my hair from thinning but I do believe if I had not used it my follicles would be dormant.I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.I am female 62 years.
Kind Regards
Lorna

Answer
Usually humans do not shed but lose about the same number of hairs 50 to 100 daily unless there is something which stresses out the system and the most actively growing cells slow down or stop for awhile. In the case of hair follicles the root or matrix is one of the most actively growing group of cells in our body and if you had something such as seasonal allergies which ran you down then it could be expected to see the shed which might take place due to that. Other than that type of yearly seasonal stress due to allergies I can not think of what  may be the cause. Each time it happens though you use up a full life cycle of those hairs. Hairs grow 1 to 1.5 cm per month for 4 to 6 years and then change their cycle. Each hair only has a certain predetermined number of life cycles programmed into it from birth. Your current thinness may be due to recurrent Telogen Effluviums ( shed due to stress ) which has left your hairs older than they normally would have been. I'd check with your dermatologist to see if this is a possible cause and if you are having premature Androgenetic Alopecia then perhaps the addition of 50mg of Spironolactone daily may help. I would continue with the Rogaine although my preference is the 5% Foam once a day in the morning.
In Chapter 4 of my book "Hair Loss Answers" which can be read online for free at www.hiardoc.com I describe a patient who went bald at age 22 when no one else in his family went bald until age 70. He attributed it to having malaria, when in fact the fever and chills led to a series of Telogen Effluvium sheds -
http://www.hairdoc.com/hair-loss-anwers/chapter-4-other-hair-loss-causes/
"I had a patient who was totally bald when I met him at age seventy, and he had lost all his hair by age twenty-two. He had worked on the Panama Canal fifty years earlier, and for two straight years starting when he was twenty he suffered repeated bouts of severe fever from episodes of malaria. Each time he suffered from malaria induced fever he experienced telogen effluvium, lost what hair he had, and his hair follicles lost another “life.” After ten or fifteen malaria stress cycles, at the age of twenty-two, he had the hair he would have had at age seventy. Which unfortunately for him was no hair at all."

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>