Hair Loss/Hair problem

Question
Hello. I am 22 years old boy. I wash my hair every other day. But my scalp gets oily, the day after i wash it and i have dandruff as well. But it's wet dandruff. It's not flaky and if you have nails and try to scratch the scalp, the dandruff sticks to the nails. My hair is thick and wavy. And if do not wash my hair more than 2 days, it gets more wavy and ends get dry. Also i lose more hair. I have medium hair and i wash hair with head and shoulders for normal hair. i wish you can help me. Thanks, in advance.

Answer
Dandruff is known as Seborrheic Dermatitis and dermatologists normally treat this with medications which kills the yeast that grows in the oils glands that causes the condition. Almost all the dandruff shampoos have a chemical which kills yeast.
Ketoconizole 2% is found in Nizoral Shampoo
Zinc Pyrithione 1% is found in Head and Shoulders
Selenium Sulfide is found in Selsun Shampoo

First you should get used to daily shampoos. It does not make your hair fall out faster.
I shampoo daily using a 2% Zinc Pyrithione shampoo and I never had dandruff but it keeps my head feeling clean.

i suggest you get Ketoconizole shampoo and use it daily for three days then use Selsun shampoo daily for three days and then Head and Shoulders daily for three days and keep repeating this cycle.

If after two weeks your scalp and hair do not look much better then you should see a dermatologist to see if you need to take Ketoconizole 200mg pills once a day for two weeks to kill the yeast from the inside out.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>