Hair Loss/Laser light

Question
I've heard red laser light has been proven to be an affective treatment for hairloss and to regrow hair. I was wondering if you knew the specs of such a system? I've seen $600 helmets that project the light on the scalp but that isn't in my budget. I'd like to create my own thing. Red laser pointers can be found in a dollar store but a beam expander might not be cheap and I've been told would decrease light intensity by quite a  bit. How do these systems work?

Answer
The red laser light you are referring to has a wavelength of 650nm. Although the helmets at $650 seem expensive I would suggest actually investing in either the LaserCap or the Capillus cap both of which have over 220 diodes and produce over 1,120mw of power. They are expensive but when considering the cost of in office treatments - frequently in doctor's offices or hair salons- the cost is $85 to $100 per treatment and the amount of light is much less than that of the caps.  Trying to build your own may work but I have no idea of where you would find laser diodes which put out 650nm wavelenghts at 5mw of power each.
For more information on how the laser light works read Dr Hamblin's excellent article MECHANISMS OF LOW LEVEL LIGHT THERAPY iwww.photobiology.info/Hamblin.html

more info at http://lasercap.com/
or www.capillus.com

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>