Hair Loss/About oily dandruff and prevention

Question
Hi
I m 25 yrs old and i have oily dandruff condition since 2-3 years .....i have an oily skin from beginning .....
I usually wash my hairs daily with Head and Shoulder 1% zpth...and in severe condition use 2% ketoconazole shampoo.....i have oil on my face and hairs after 6-8 hrs of washing .....
I want to know how to get rid of it completely ....and if i am using correct shampoo ??

thxx

Answer
It is not possible to stop your oil glands from producing oil completely. Accutane (isotretinoin) is a very potent pill which can lower oil production but it is not normally prescribed for just oily skin. It is reserved for severe scarring acne. If you have a red scaly rash in the area of oiliness then part of the problem may be that you have a yeast growing in the oil which irritates the skin. That yeast is sensitive to ketoconizole shampoo, cream or in pill form. You may want to ask your dermatologist if it is possible to take oral ketoconizole at 200 mg a day for 10 days and then two pills ( 400 mg) once a week for a few months. This treatment frequently makes patients with Seborrheic Dermatitis feel much better and not so oily. Most patients simply shampoo daily washing their face at the same time with one of the two shampoos you are currently using- Sometimes even twice a day. You are using the correct shampoos but may need to kill some of the yeast from the inside out by taking ketoconizole by mouth.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>