Hair Loss/resistance training, diet, and hair loss

Question
Dr. Panagotacos

Does resistance training with moderately heavy weights have any impact on hair loss? There is a rise in testosterone and other hormones 30 minutes to an hour after weight training so I am wondering if this can affect my hair in any way.

Also, does diet have any role in hair loss and is there any foods or supplements I should avoid?

Thank you

Answer
Theoretically the more testosterone in the blood from any reason should raise the DHT levels as well. Any increase in DHT should cause more hair loss. To what degree that may take place with the small increase after a work out I do not know and I do not know of any studies which have been done to prove that it happens. We see acne flare up in both men and women athletes when they are in training and the reason is the rise in testosterone. So, your question is one that should be answered by a formal study. I have no recommendation for diet and food supplements other than what is considered a normal balanced diet .

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>