Hair Loss/scalp pimple that bled

Question
Hi I am writing about my concern over a tiny scalp pimpe I had by accident I irritated it and it popped slightlg removing all the puss and it bled a little, the hair was still there and the pimple was gone and didn't return after a good wash, but I cut that hair short so I can see where it was but now I cant spot it, I was wondering if the hair follicle was permanently damaged seeing as it bled, I noticed after a week later the hair was still there but now I cant tell if its died or gone due to the sign of bleeding?
Can you help me on this

Answer
This kind of folliculitis is common and not the type that will scar the hair follicle. The pus and blood came from a plugging of the upper level of the hair follicle. This superficial follculitis is named Bockhart's folliculitis. Simply wash the area with a shampoo such as 1% zinc pyrithione Head and Shoulders and that should kill the bacteria and yeast which cause this kind of superficial folliculitis. There is no need to put an antibiotic ointment on the spot unless you want to be doubly certain the bacteria are killed off. If more spots develop you should consider applying an Acne Wash with 4% to 10 % Benzoyl Peroxide just to the affected spots for 5 minutes before shampooing with your regular shampoo.
 The kind of folliculitis that kills of the hair follicles are those that go deeper into the skin and sometimes for cysts. I think there is a 99% chance this hair will continue growing and if it does fall out it will simply go into its next life cycle from the same follicle and that could take four months to see but once it does grow back from the same bulb it will grow 1/2 inch per month for 4 to 6 months.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>