Hair Loss/you have left me some hope then!

QUESTION: I had a baby nine months ago, and I went from no shedding (during pregnancy) to high shed, but not clumps, like 120 per day.  My questionis this, in my "bangs" area, I see little "bald spots" but I see pores there, but the thing is it's been two months that I"VE noticed, and nothing has come out yet (a hair) the pores are still empty.  Can it take a while for those hairs to come to the surface?? My husband took a look at them and said they are "greyish/black" thinking there is a hair under the skin, but I just don't know if they can take months to actually come out and start growing.  Thank you!

ANSWER: You have had what is called a Post Partum Telogen Effluvium. It is common for women not to lose much hair during the pregnancy and one month after having the baby the hairs begins to shed. Several mechanisms are responsible for why the hairs change cycles from actively growing hairs which normally grow 4 to 6 years at 1/2 inch per month to the resting phase when they decide to stop growing and fall out and restart again from the same bulb. Much like a tulip which dies and then regenerates from the same bulb. Hormonal changes are one of the factors triggering this change of growth cycles The other mechanism is just plain stress of delivery or anesthesia which can cause a similar shed after most any surgical procedure. If you go to my website and click on the book in the bottom left corner " Hair Loss Answers" you can read, for free, about normal growth cycles in Chapter 2 and Telogen Effluviums in Chapter 4. There you will see that after a Telogen Effluvium it may take four to six months for the hairs to begin to regrow where they fell out. You will need to be patient. Most of the time 90% of the hairs grow back but at 1/2 inch per month it will take a year before you feel some real increase in density to your hair.

QUESTION: Thanks, so even though I didn't have a massive shed, what you're saying is that many hairs went into resting again, and that some of those pores can take 4-6 months to begin producing a new hair again? ? That relieves some of my stress, as I have had telogen effluvium in the past.  Like I said, after this baby I didn't have it as bad as I've had it in the past, thank God, but still . . . . So hopefully all these pores are just taking more time to sprout a new hair, hopefully the "grey/dark color" that they have means a hair is close to the surface!

I don't know if I believe that about hair life cycles and telogen effluvium because my sister had 10 children, with telogen effluvium after each one, and now at age 50, she still has hair.  I hope I'm not genetically programmed, because I have had my share of "sheds" and I hope I haven't used up all my lives.

Everyone inherits their own pattern of hair loss and timing of loss. Since there are about six genes each parent can pass on which may affect the pattern and timing you can assume that there can be wide variation even within a family. Someone has to be the tallest and shortest in a family and the same is true for hair patterns. I think you just need to be patient for another few months.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website