Hair Loss/tretinoin and avodart questions

Question
Hi Dr. Panagotacos,

Does tretinoin have any merit as a hair loss treatment? There is one small study on pub med that shows it reduces the number of androgen receptors in the dermal papilla cells when used over time.

Secondly, since avodart reduces 5 alpha reductase type 1, could this possibly help someone with seborrheic dermatitis since 5 alpha reductase type 1 is affiliated with sebum production?

Thank you

Answer
Tretinoin has been shown to help aging skin and when applied to the scalp in studies done in 1980 by Dr Nia Terezakis it was found to increase growth and when combined with minoxidil it worked even better. I am not aware of the androgen receptor study you made reference to.
I have not seen any significant difference in my patients with seborrheic dermatitis who are also taking Avodart.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>