Hair Loss/excessive shedding

Question
Hello Miss Melanie Vonzabuesnig , I stumbled upon you answering questions about hair loss while searching for answers and I must say Im a bit relived that an expert can answer my question.

I am a 22 almost 23 year old female that has been experiencing excessive shedding approximately on the 11th of December 2014. Now my shedding is weird because it just happened out of the blue and was so sudden and it prolonged for one whole day as it gradually subsided to not so excessive shedding to barely any shedding at all. Everything was normal for a about 2 weeks then all of a sudden the excessive shedding happened again on the 26th on December 2014 so I started to panic.

I must mention that I have been diagnosed with anemia since I was 19 and NEVER experienced this before even when I wasn't taking iron supplements. I have been on and off (mostly off) these supplements for a long periods in between the on periods. Also I must note that I have in a full head of extensions and only have the front of my hair out so this is where I can see and experience the shedding from.

I have been taking iron pills recently and had deviated from my normal iron supplements I usually take and also took biotin with it on and off. It was during this time I noticed excessive shedding that I am experiencing now being the 30th of December. I went to my doctor he didn't do anything but tell me he didn't think the change in iron pills caused it or anything I told him caused it he just said I may be experiencing non scarring alopecia and sent me on my way. that's it no examination or blood test or nothing. Please help even though there is no visible sign yet im panicking and in tears every time I comb my hair and see all the strand from the root and depressed at the thought of loosing my hair at such a young age

Answer
Hair loss from extensions is common. It may be that the hair loss is due to extensions--putting in/taking off.
Other than that, excessive shedding that happens suddenly and abruptly is often acute telogen effluvium. Acute telogen effluvium occurs due to  a sudden and temporary disturbance or change to the body. Possible causes include illness, fever, infection, medical procedure, medication, trauma, new diet, new supplements, etc.
With telogen effluvium the hair growth cycle becomes disrupted, causing a large amount of hairs to shift into the telogen (resting) stage prematurely. These hairs will rest for two to three months and then they will shed. Thinking back to the months prior to the shed may provide clues. With acute telogen effluvium the excessive shedding will end within six months. Telogen effluvium that last more than six months is considered chronic. Chronic telogen effluvium often comes on a little more gradually. Chronic telogen effluvium indicates an internal imbalance that needs to be identified and corrected.
Iron is very important for healthy hair growth. Even though your iron deficiency may not have caused your hair loss, adequate iron levels are necessary to restore healthy hair. Some experts recommend getting your ferritin levels up to 70 when hair loss issues exist.
It is not advisable to keep extensions in when hair loss conditions are present as they can cause further destruction.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig