Hair Loss/Hair loss/Adderall

Hello! I've been taking adderall for almost a year. My hair, in that time, has become incredible thin and streaky in one spot. I was just wondering how I can continue taking my medication and having my hair come back in full. Please help! Thanks :)

Adderall and other stimulants are known to cause hair loss. One of the most common reasons for drug-induced hair loss is due to the nutritional imbalances they create. Amphetamine medications are associated with the depletion of vitamin B1. Any vitamin deficiency can lead to hair loss.  Because amphetamines are known to reduce appetite, nutritional deficiencies may occur due to inadequate diet.  Amphetimines are also thought to cause free radical damage. Free radical damage can cause hair loss or thinning. Anti-oxidants may help decrease free radical damage. It is important to stay well nourished though diet and nutritional supplements when necessary to reduce the possibility of nutritional deficiencies while on this medication.
Because this medication can also cause dehydration, it is important to remember to drink lots of water to replenish hydration. Any time the body is off balance in any way hair loss can occur.
The toxins from the medication are actually stored in your hair. They become part of the make-up of your hair. This is why hair analysis can be used for drug testing, heavy metal exposure, etc. Toxins in hair may make hair less healthy and prone to breakage or fallout.
The vasoconstriction effect of amphetamines has been considered as possible cause of amphetamine-induced hair loss. Healthy circulation is essential for healthy hair growth as hair is nourished through the bloodstream.
Essential oil scalp treatments have a vasodilating effect. They can help stimulate new hair growth by increasing blood circulation and nourishment directly into the follicle and root of hair.
It sounds like you want to stay on the medication. You may want to consider reducing the dosage if possible. I can't say whether your hair can completely recover while using the medication but taking the measures stated above to help reduce the effects may help somewhat.

Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.