Hair Loss/Hair loss from telogen effulvium

Question
QUESTION: Hi i recently experienced hair loss from TE, i was wondering does the hair loss from this affect new follicles from forming on the head especially if the loss happened when a person was younger?

Thank you

ANSWER: Telogen effluvium does not cause follicle damage. With telogen effluvium the hairs that are lost are replaced with a newly growing hair. Follicles do not remain empty. If the condition becomes chronic, even though new hairs may be growing they may not have a chance to catch up with the rate of loss. This can create an overall decrease in hair volume. With chronic telogen effluvium the newly growing hairs may fall out. Any follicle can be affected. Because the follicles are not damaged or destroyed they always have the potential for producing healthy hair.
With telogen effluvium the goal is to determine and treat the underlying cause(s)so that the hair growth cycle may restore itself back to normal.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
Understanding Female Hair Loss
http://www.vzbotanicals.com/overcomefemalehairloss.html

QUESTION: thank you for the reply i also heard that we are born with all the hair follicles we will have does that mean that all follicles return and we never lose any? also if that is so than why does young children and infants hair appear thinner than adults?

ANSWER: Yes we are born with all the follicles we will ever have.  This is not to say that throughout our life time each follicle will remain healthy and productive. Follicles can shrink and atrophy. They can become damaged or destroyed. The hair growth cycle can become disrupted. Many factors can influence the health and productivity of hair follicles.
The hair follicles that infants are born with produce soft, fine hair. As these  follicle mature, the changes and growth that occurs allows hair to grow thicker, courser and longer.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

QUESTION: Hi thank you for the reply, does telogen effluvium effect the hair like pili multigemini follicles, as i had  a few hairs like this (not servere in any way) but some of my hairs are like this. Will they return as well or has it been damaged thus not growing like that anymore?

also are multigemini follicles already predetermined to whichever follicle thus if fallen out will always grow with multiple strands in one follicle?

Answer
Have you been diagnosed with pili multigemini? Pili multigemini most commonly occurs on the beard, and sometimes other areas of the body. Pili multigemini causes multiple hairs to emerge from a single follicle. There is another condition called tufted hair folliculitis or polytrichia that has similar characteristics, and would more commonly appear on the scalp. Although both conditions cause multiple stands of hair to emerge from one opening, the underlying process initiating the condition is entirely different.
Feel free to send me more information if you would like me to help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig
.  

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig