Hair Loss/dutasteride dosage

Question
hello doctor.i am going to start dutasteride 2.5mg/day for my hair loss.i have to take 5 culapsules/day.how should i take 5 capsules?

Answer
There was a study done showing men who took 2.5mg Dutasteride daily for one month got a 95% reduction in their DHT. It seems to me that 90% suppression taking only one pill of 0.5mg is enough for the vast majority of men who have even extensive balding patterns,
 I do not know of any studies done taking Dutasteride at 2.5 mg / day for more than a month or two.
  Before going to 5 pills a day I would first get comfortable taking one a day for six months.
Then check you liver profile chemistry tests just to be sure you have a baseline. At that point you could take all 5 pills at one time after a meal once a day or two after breakfast and three after a larger meal later in the day to spread out the absorption. Most likely there is little difference how you take them but spreading them out may make it easier on your liver to metabolize the drug.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>