Hair Loss/hair loss

Question
QUESTION: Hello there , I have been experiencing some hair loss for the past 2-4 months . I just noticed it  mainly when washing my hair or running my hands through it. I am 41 and my youngest is now 3 years old. I also just recently weaned him off bf , although he wasn't really getting much milk so Im not sure if its hormonal.
Im noticing that the top of my head sides and front look much thinner and trying to wear it like I normally do is not working . Ive just recently went to get my blood work done to check for any iron deficiency etc but Ive never had any issues. I also started taking nurticap , b12 and omega 3 . I think Im noticing some type of growth back small hairs sticking out but they look so thin and its not everywhere yet just front and sides.
My sister and mom both have thin hair on top and so does my father so Im guessing Im next ? Should I be seeing a specialist ?
Thank you

ANSWER: It seems you have inherited the genes for Androgenetic Alopecia ( sometimes called female pattern baldness ).  Depending on how many balding genes you have and how much androgens get to your hairs is what determines to what degree you will lose hair. When stressed you produce male type hormones which are called stress hormones and can cause acne or increase hair loss.
 You should see a dermatologist to determine what you can do about the loss at this point. In many cases the treatment is to take an oral contraceptive pill such as Yaz which blocks the ovary from making anymore testosterone and / or to take a pill, spironolactone, to block the androgen hormones. Spironolactone is commonly used to treat teenagers with acne, girls with increased facial hair and women who are showing signs of Androgenetic Alopecia. Your dermatologist will be able to explain the best options with you. Applying Rogaine may help bring back some recently lost hair but in order to prevent more loss you need to block the androgens (DHT)from getting to the androgen receptor sites on the hair follicles.

QUESTION: Does AA come on sudden as well ? I was wondering if it was TE since I have had that before , when I pull my hair it seems to have a bulb at the end . SInce I started taking vitamins the hair loss has sort of slowed down to more normal but is still there.
I dont have a receding hairline just thinning . Im getting my hormones checked at the end of the month . I think due to my family history I am more worried . I just feel that this came on so sudden  and was very noticeable as supposed to gradual hair loss  . What are the chances of it being TE?
Thank you again

Answer
Yes Alopecia Areata comes on suddenly. You can see photos of what it looks like at this site www.dermnet.org.nz or at this site
http://dermis.net/dermisroot/en/34987/diagnose.htm

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference which is why you should see a dermatologist and not your regular doctor.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>