Hair Loss/Avodart

Question
Dr. Panagotacos,
I have been on avodart .5mg daily for exactly 60 days. I was previously on finasteride daily and had some mild regrowth but my hairline continued to thin so I switched to avodart. I have noticed increased shedding the last month in the shower and when applying rogaine which I have been on for 2 years. Is this a good sign and Am I just recycling hairs that will grow back thicker because of the switch in medications or is my male pattern baldness genes too strong to halt? Do you think I should increase my avodart dosage to 1mg or more to decrease my dht levels even more or should I go back to finasteride since I may be a non responder to avodart based on my current shedding? Thank you!

Answer
It is possible that you have caused the hairs tor recycle or there may be an increase shed now because of some other stress to your system. Assuming it was the switch that caused the recycle you should be noticing new and denser hair in another two months. Taking Avodart lowers your DHT by 90% which I think is adequate to stop hair loss in nearly 95% of men. If you take 5 of those pills daily you can lower your DHT by 95% but I doubt you would get much more protection than just one a day. I would stay on the same treatment program for another two or three months.
  One Avodart a day along with Rogaine Foam twice a day is considered the best treatment to preserve hair and stimulate some recently lost hair to grow back.
  If you are looking to use something more to preserve the hair then I would suggest either DHSzinc Shampoo used daily- zinc salts inactivate the 5 alpha reductase enzyme in the scalp so it helps prevent DHT from being made locally. If you do not like the feel of DHS zinc shampoo daily then use REVIVOGEN shampoo which has an assortment of DHT blockers plus conditioners and can be purchased from www.revivogen.com
  Lastly you could also look into using Low Level Laser Light Treatments for 30 minutes every other day which have been found to be as good or a bit better than 5% minoxidil twice a day.
I strongly recommend you get the full cap units such as www.LaserCap.us or www.Capillus.com
  These units fit very well on your head as a baseball cap with an output of over 1100mw of power as opposed to only 45 mw from the LaserComb. The advantage is that you own the unit and can stimulate the hair growth at home at your leisure instead of going into a doctors office for twice weekly treatments using a dome apparatus which delivers less than 1/3 the light energy of the LaserCaps. After 6 months it has paid for itself and can be seen to add density to your thinning hairs.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>