Hair Loss/Too much dandruff, need your expertise

Question
I have too much dandruff and have bought several types of shampoo for treating dandruff but my condition doesn't get better. Are there any prescription-strength shampoos that can help? If yes, can you please list their names so i can ask my doctor if he can give prescription.

Answer
I am not sure what is prescription strength where you live but in the US there is a 1% ketoconizole shampoo which is available in stores without a prescription. The 2% version commonly known as Nizoral Shampoo requires a prescription and although it is suggested it be used three times a week I advise my patients with severe Seborrheic Dermatitis to use it daily. There is a prescription 2% Ketoconizole Cream and Foam which can be applied at night and shampooed out in the morning with the same medicated shampoo to help kill the yeast that causes dandruff.
 In rare cases Ketoconizole 200 mg pills taken daily for two weeks are given to kill the yeast from the inside out.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>