Hair Loss/Hair transplant procedures

Question
QUESTION: I'm a 63 year old male, contemplating undergoing hair transplant surgery. I'm not completely bald as my father was, but am concerned about my ever receding hairline and bald patches near the crown of my head. I already had one consultation 3 years ago with a company that has been doing this procedure for a number of years, who advised that I get 1,400 grafts at the time. The lead doctor suggested that hairs from the back of my head be harvested.

My question(s):

Is it possible some grafts will not "take" as well as others and/or be rejected?
What are the odds hair loss would be just as much a problem with the new harvested hairs in the ensuing years as with the existing ones?
What can one expect in the days following the procedure as far as pain and discomfort goes?

And if you're at liberty to answer this next question, I would appreciate it:
What is a good ballpark figure as far as what a procedure such as this should cost?

Any other information related to the "pros and cons" on having this procedure done would also be most welcome. Thank you very much.

ANSWER: When hair transplants are done by the golden standard of FUT strip harvesting you can expect nearly 99% of the hair to survive. The current craze in advertising FUE scarless surgery can not reach that degree of survivability because 10 to 20% die in the harvesting process.  Chapter 12 of my book deals with some of these issues. It was written in 2005 and FUEs have gotten better but not as good as FUTs. http://www.hairdoc.com/book/Chapter_12_hair_loss_answers.pdf

It it difficult to tell you how many grafts you may need but I'd be happy to look at photos and give you my opinion as to how many I would recommend doing. You can email me privately at Peter@HairDoc.com
 Fees generally are estimated as a per graft charge. Usually the per graft charge drops as the number of grafts per thousand increases.
Five years ago my fees were $1500 as a base fee to reserve the day and then $7 per graft. With the recession hitting discretionary spending the fees dropped to $6 / graft
To get an idea of how many grafts are needed you can take a look at some patients done by me 15 years ago when I had them added to my website here  http://www.hairdoc.com/patient-photos/
On the home page are four patients who were done in the past ten years and were more extensively bald and two had 5,000 grafts in two sessions and the other two patients had 7,000 grafts in three sessions seen here on the home page...http://www.hairdoc.com/
 One of those patients with 7000 grafts was Marco and he was completed about the time I finished my book "Hair Loss Answers". He asked if I wanted a patient's view of the process so you will find him in Chapter 13 of the first edition and Chapter 14 in the second edition.
 Both can be read online for free at this site... http://www.hairdoc.com/hair-loss-anwers/

QUESTION: Thank you for your response and links to your site. I can see what you mean, and the info cleared up some things as well.
I would send you photos of my head but don't think I could afford your rates, plus airfare to San Francisco to boot (I live in New Jersey).
Do you have branches in the North East?
Also the company I was referring to is Bosley. I am not sure if what they do consists of FUT strip harvesting, or the FUE? Would you happen to know, and do you consider them as proficient in what they do as your company?
Best regards.

Answer
I am in solo practice only in San Francisco. If you wanted my opinion as to how many grafts you need you could send them to me at this Allexpert address or my website address.
Most large practices such as Bosley can do both FUE's or FUT.
 If you are looking for an independent referral to someone in your area then go to www.IAHRS.org
or www.ISHRS.org

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>