Hair Loss/Telogen effluvium in children

Question
Hi, one of my family relatives an infant has telogen effluvium and has lost nearly all their hair, does this hair grow back and does it affect their hair when they grow older seeing as all their hair follicles have not grown yet will these hairs still grow back?

also what happens to the new follicles when attacked by telogen effluvium, i am worried that their hair will not grow to its full potential because not all their hair has even grown yet due their age?

Answer
It is very rare to see a Telogen Effluvium in infants. A TE is a shedding of hair due to something stressing the actively growing hair follicles. Was this diagnosis of TE made by a dermatologist? Did they look at the hairs to see if they were coming out as Telogen Hairs in larger amounts than normal? Was there some acute illness a month before the shedding of hair took place?  Are the hairs coming out diffusely all over or are there areas of shiny hair loss and dense hairs unaffected? How old is the infant? There are many questions here that need to be answered before I would be willing to assume this was a TE.  Feel free to answer these questions and send me a photo of the child's scalp, I can then give you my opinion as to what may have happened.
 A Telogen Effluvium in a child after a high fever is not a significant issue as this shed is simply a shortening of the active growth cycle and forcing the hairs into their next life cycle. If this infant did have a TE the hairs should be looking normal again in about six months. A hair only grows for about 5 years before falling out and starting over again- growing at a rate of 1 cm per month. Each hair is programmed to have many life cycles. its It takes four to six months to see the new hairs growing after a TE and this should not affect hair growth later in life.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>