Hair Loss/hair loss

I am soon to be 65 years young.  I exercise, eat fairly well (not as good as I know I should).  My tsh is high (ranges from 4.5 years ago to more recently 8.7 down to 6.1 last test).  Antibodies were normal. was put on bht a couple of years ago.  Testosterone was high.  Stopped talking the testosterone 9/13.  Hair dresser said hairline funny, but I never looked much "under my short hair in back".  When I did, I realized I had lost a ton on nape to ears.  New hairdresser very concerned.  Very thin and  nearly bald spot on each side.  Did acupuncture and seemed to be coming back.  Now it seems to be going again.   Weaning off bht….only take tiny amount every 3 days now, (no testosterone).  Saw Derm.  and he grinned and said "oh yea, auto immune" and that was it.  Not crazy about traditional Drs. so I let it slide.  Am pretty concerned.  Don't want it to get any worse!  Thanks.

The pattern of hair loss you are describing is characteristic of a condition known as alopecia areata ophiasis. This is an autoimmune disorder that targets hair follicles. The most common form of alopecia areata causes smooth round bald patches. The ophiasis variation causes hair loss along the sides, behind the ears and around to the nape of neck. This type of alopecia areata is a little more severe than the patchy type. But with alopecia areata the follicles remain alive and able to produce hair again once they get the signal to do so. Essential oil scalp treatments have proven to be helpful in stimulating new hair growth in many cases of alopecia areata. Being an autoimmune disorder, a main part of treatment should involve keeping the immune system calm and balanced. This includes identifying and avoiding any food or environmental allergies or sensitivities. New research is showing gluten intolerance/sensitivity to be associated with alopecia areata in increasing cases. Avoiding gluten may be helpful. I can't say for sure this is the condition you have, but it does fit the description that you have stated.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.