Hair Loss/Age and hairloss

Question
QUESTION: Thank you for the previous reply on serum ferritin hair loss. I wanted to know if every person loses hair as they get older particularly women. do some people never lose their hair at all?

ANSWER: Everyone loses hair as they get older. Thinning as you age depends on the amount of baldness genes inherited. Most people start off with about 100,000 hairs when they are children but as they age there is a slight amount of loss due simply aging even with little to no baldness genes. Most hair loss is due to the inherited genetic pattern plus the normal male hormones the hairs are exposed to over time.

QUESTION: Hi i have only had telogen effluvium once in my life and suffered a bit of iron deficiency hair loss. Does this mean that those hairs that fell are more likely to fall out permanently when i am older?

Also my mother has dark black hair but over the years shes gained light brown streaks in them why is this?

Answer
With only one episode of Telogen Effluvium you normally would not notice a difference in density of hair one year later and although you may have become thinner than you would normally have been when you are older the odds are in your favor. Those hairs which fell out may have had another 10 to 15 life cycles and if you used up one it is not likely that you will notice that you are 5% thinner than you should be 50 to 70 years from now.
  Some people inherit a condition referred to as mosaicism in which they have hair and skin with mixed genetic makup. Dr Norman Orentreich the father of modern hair transplantation and hair restoration used to tell the story of having black hair with patches of red hair. His mother had red hair. As he got older the red hair fell our first. There are many intricacies to the genetic inheritance of the color, texture , curliness and longevity of hair follicles.
Many are still being worked out.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>