Hair Loss/flaxseed lignans

Question
sir
i would like your opinion on flaxseed lignans.
if one would take them.
would they lower dht testerone ect?
would they cause the same side effects as propecia?ed etc.
has there been any studies done on it?
kind regards
michael

Answer
Unfortunately this product along with saw palmetto have gotten a lot of press in the health magazines which cater to people who think there are "Natural Medications" which are out there, available for all to use but the medical complex of doctors and pharmaceutical companies are keeping from them.
  There have been only a couple or reports of flaxseed lignans in the scientific literature and those were old and not related to preventing hair loss. It has been in the non medical health food supplement magazines.
 I suggest you ask your doctor if there is any need for you to take this supplement.
Personally I think it is a waste of time and money until someone proves it helps in a double blinded scientific study which gets published in a recognized dermatologic journal.

Here is what I found in Google Scholar- note there is noting that says it helps hair loss.

Treatment of Topical Discomforts Including Acne, Sunburn, Diaper Rash, Wound, Wrinkles and Dandruff/Hair Loss by Natural Lignans via Fatty Acid Desaturase …
S Gupta - US Patent App. 11/670,942, 2007 - Google Patents
... The highest concentrations in edible plants have been found in flaxseed, followed by unrefined
grain ... or of a plant extract containing it (such as an extract of flax seeds), in a ... do not disclose any
natural lignans that provide treatment of topical discomforts and ailments including ...
Cited by 8 Related articles All 2 versions Cite Save
[PDF] from landesbioscience.com
[PDF] Dietary flaxseed prevents radiation-induced oxidative lung damage, inflammation and fibrosis in a mouse model of thoracic radiation injury
JC Lee, R Krochak, A Blouin, S Kanterakis… - Cancer Biol …, 2009 - landesbioscience.com
... high levels of circulating antioxidants from the continued metabolism of bioactive lignans. ...
radical-scavenging property of secoisolariciresinol diglucoside (SDG) isolated from flax-seed. ...
Antioxidant activity of the flaxseed lignan secoisolariciresinol diglycoside and its mammalian ...
Cited by 49 Related articles All 9 versions Cite Save
Composition and method for etiological treatment and prevention of diseases and/or complications associated with chronic glucose metabolism destabilization
MVR Guffey - US Patent App. 11/590,264, 2006 - Google Patents
... Flax Powder or Lignans. Flax powder is made from pure ground flax seed. Flax powder is rich
in lignans. ... Lignans are a great source of healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseed yields over 800
mcg/g of lignans whereas flaxseed oil has fewer than 2% of lignans. ...

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>