Hair Loss/hairloss

Question
QUESTION: hello doctor,i am 19 yearls old male.i am suffering from hair loss since i was 15.last year i went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me finesteride 1mg and minoxidil 5%.i took finasteride for a year with a great shed.i missed the minoxidil some months.my hairline became worst.i lost more hair from the whole scalp and also from my back and side.and lots of puss filled bumps on my scalp.then my dermatologist prescribed me dutasteride .5mg and minoxidil.i took dutasteride for nearly six months without minoxidil.but this was even worst than finesteride.the shed has been increased.what should i do sir?i am so desperate.i am too young to go bald.please note that i musterbate every day.even two times a day.i found that it can be a cause of hairloss.

ANSWER: I have seen a 16 year old who was fully matured by age 15. He had one of the thickest beards and more hair on his body than most people. He was also very bald- a Type VII on he Norwood scale with no hair on top. His pediatrician and endocrinologist said there were no abnormalities with his hormone system. This type of baldness ran in his family but he just happened to be one of the youngest to experience this degree of baldness so soon. I suggest you see a specialist to make sure you do not have a problem with your pituitary gland or a tumor elsewhere leading to excess testosterone. That means you should be evaluated by an Endocrinologist. If you are told all of your hormones are normal and this is simply and inherited condition then the best therapy for you would be Dutasteride .5mg every day. It is the DHT hormone which causes hairs to age and fall out not Testosterone. However the more testosterone there is the more gets converted to DHT unless you take Dutasteride which lowers the DHT levels by 90%. You should get back on it and stay on it.
I do not believe the use of minoxidil will be of much help as minoxidil simply makes hairs grow thicker and longer but does not affect the number of life cycles the hairs will have. You can masturbate as often as you like, it does not cause baldness.

QUESTION: thank you doctor.i will see a specalist as soon as possible and gef my hormones check.my another question is am i too young for a hair transplant.are there any side effects if i go through a hair transplant right now.

Answer
The main reason you are too young for a hair transplant is that you do not know how much hair you will be losing and some of the hairs that may be taken from the sides and back could also be dying off soon. Once you have stabilized you active balding process and know what your pattern of baldness is you may even decide to have FUE transplants from the hairy areas of your body to your scalp. This process has gained a lot of popularity in the past 10 to 15 years. Small 0.9 mm to 1mm punches are used to take one hair at a time from your arms, legs back or groin and move them to your head.  I would not consider any surgical procedure for at least a few more years. Try to stabilize your hair loss medically first and hope to get back some recently lost hair by keeping your DHT level as low as possible. Young men who jump into doing a hair transplant too early find ten years later that they have hair sitting unnaturally in an isolated area either too far forward or a spot on the crown which looks like a Bulls eye on a target when the hair recedes around it.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>