Hair Loss/Serum ferritin hair loss

hi my serum ferrtin is very low like around 7 but my hemoglobin is like 60. my doctor failed to recognise this and told me everything was fine. i have now been shedding for ages like almost 4 months. will this hair grow back? i heard that prolonged malnutrition can lead to permanent hair loss is this true, i am also recovering from TE which i have some regrowth from will this growth be affected?

I am sorry to tell you but many doctors do not understand the importance of measuring the serum ferritin and using those levels to determine whether the hairs have enough iron to be able to grow normal hairs.
A low serum ferritin can cause hair loss. It was once thought a level as low as 10 was within normal limits but in 2002 there was a report indicating level of less than 70 can lead to hair loss.
In the past few years there have been studies showing low Vit D levels can also lead to hair loss.

Here is a hand out I give to my patients with low serum ferritin:

Note: Most Doctors and Labs list the normal range of Serum Ferritin as 10-230.
If you are below 60, I want you to take Ferrous sulfate 325 MG. daily and Vitamin C 500 daily.

Clinical & Experimental Dermatology
Volume 27 Issue 5 Pages 396 - July2002
Doi: 101046/j.1365-2230.2002.01076.xClinical dermatology*Review article Nutritional factors and hair loss D.H. Rushton

Summary The literature reveals what little is known about nutritional factors and hair loss. What we do know emanates from studies in protein-energy malnutrition, starvation and eating disorders. In otherwise healthy individuals, nutritional factors appear to play a role in subjects with persistent increase hair shedding. Hard, 40 years ago, demonstrated the importance of iron supplements in nonanaemic, iron-deficient women with hair loss.
Serum ferritin concentration provides a good assessment of an individual's iron status.
What level of serum ferritin to employ in subjects with increase hair shedding is yet to
Be definitively established but 70ug/L, with a normal erythrocyte sedimentation rate
(<10 mm/h), is recommended. The role of the essential amino acid, 1-lysine in hair loss
also appears to be important. Double-blind data confirmed the finding of an open study
in women with increased hair shedding, where a significant proportion responded to
1-lysine and iron therapy. There is no evidence to support the popular view that low serum zinc concentrations cause hair loss. Excessive intakes of nutritional supplements
may actually cause hair loss and are not recommended in the absence of a proven deficiency. While nutritional factors affect the hair directly, one should not forget that
they also affect the skin. In the management of subjects with hair loss, eliminating scaling
problems is important as is good hair care advice and the need to explain fully the hair cycle. Many individuals reduced their shampooing frequency due to fear of losing more hair but this increases the amount seen in subsequent shampoos fueling their fear of going bald and adversely affecting their quality of life.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website