Hair Loss/TE or ?

Question
Hello i am 20 years old male with strange diffuse hair loss problem and thinning and diffuse hair loss all over my body(pubic hair scalp hair eyebrows), basically every hair folicule on body lost its sharpnes,density, now its easy to break with low force i can pull up couple hair on scalp or eyebrows when washing my face. It started 2 years ago all of sudden, basically i woke up and noticed that my hair got thinned(lost its density, strenght, got diffuse), month before that i noticed that my eyebrows got thinned too with eyelash failing out(some eyebrow and eyelash hair turned grey(white), my hairline is the same before hairloss started( to be precise my hairline is perfect with no sign of MPB, my dermatolgist also confirmed that).I went to dermatologist and she told me every cause of diffuse hair shedding and loss like thyroid, iron, diet, stress and etc..I did some blood test and they found that i have High TSH which is 7 and low range ft3 and ft4, also they found high cortisol both morning and evening.They didnt gave me any treatmant for hormones but i got minoxidil 5% for hair which i am afraid to use du to various side effects on body and it can mess up hair cycle and also some vitamins for hair.What shall do in this case, i am scared and depressed since this all started, i am sure its 100% hormones cause i got seborrheic dermatitis at the same time when hair loss started, till now i lost 60% of my hair density.

Answer
It is uncommon for a 20 year old to lose hair all over in the way you have described. You should see an Endocrinologist to make sure there is no internal hormonal reason for this and to make sure you do not have a metabolic illness causing this loss. Your dermatologist should have examined the hairs to see if they were 95% Telogen hairs coming out or whether you were shedding Anagen hairs as well. If you are shedding a high number of Aanagen hairs then you need to find out if you have been exposed to heavy metals in your diet or water supply. Ask to be tested for lead and arsenic among other things. It is most likely that all of this is due to your Thyroid problem. Check to be sure you do not have a thyroid problem that can fluctuate with high levels at some times and normal at others. That would be the main reason for seeing the Endocrinologist. You levels do not have to be high all the time.
  It could be a diffuse Alopecia Areata but those cases are even more rare than heavy metal poisonings.
   I suggest you use Classic Head and Shoulders Shampoo 1% zinc DAILY and then 5% minoxidil twice a day on your head. It is safe to use.

http://www.hairdoc.com/hair-loss-anwers/chapter-4-other-hair-loss-causes/

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>