Hair Loss/finasteride

Question
Hello dr Panagotacos

I am sure you know about the 10 year finasteride study . If you dig a little deeper you will see that 16 guys were nw 2 . After 10 years 4 of them were below baseline ( rated as  -1 from a -3 +3 scale ). What are the success rates of young norwood 1 or 2 guys that you have treated after a decade.

Answer
The 10 year studies of using Propecia showed an increased density rising over the first two years and then very slowly thinning so that at the end of 10 years most of them were back to where they were at onset. Since people vary considerably in the number of bald genes they inherit it is not surprising there will be a bell shaped curve as to who lost a lot of hair despite being on Finasteride and who kept most of their hair. In my experience the loss or success rates are the same as the original Propecia studies. BUT, the positive results so far outweighed the few that had thinning that I did not follow most of them out to 10 years because as they began to lose hair at the whether it was at the 2 year mark or the 5 year mark the patients were then given Dutasteride or one of my topical prescription lotions to lower their DHT even more to stop the progression of the loss.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>