Hair Loss/thin hairs

Question
QUESTION: Just wondering if I have found a few thin hairs on the top of my head, and even looking like vellus hairs, does that guarantee it's AGA??  I do not see a widening part (I've always had a wide-er part than others) but thank God, I see no change, but I do shed a couple of these vellus-like hairs that are pigmented, very thin, and don't grow very much, 3-5 cm, and we've looked to see where they come from, and we've found a couple in my bangs area.  And other thinner hairs, but thicker hairs throughout/dispersed through my head.  Just wondering, if this is normal to some extent on all heads and people just don't notice or if it automatically means thinning.

ANSWER: All scalps contain follicles that produce three types of hairs--terminal, indeterminate and vellus. Terminal hairs are the thickest and strongest growing hairs, measuring at least 0.06 mm  in diameter. Indeterminate hairs measure between 0.03mm-0.06mm in diameter. Vellus hairs are the smallest and thinnest hairs, measuring less than 0.03mm. There are two types of vellus hairs. Primary vellus hairs are the vellus hair we are born with. Secondary vellus hairs are terminal hairs that have miniaturized. The majority of hairs on a healthy scalp should be terminal hairs. When there is a higher-than-normal percentage of vellus hairs on top area of head (in women), androgenetic alopecia can be suspected. With androgenetic alopecia there may be many hairs of different diameters reflecting progressive hair miniaturization.
If most of the miniaturized hairs are on top of head, compared with the occipital area, androgenetic alopecia may be suspected.  
With androgenetic alopecia, parting the hair straight down the center will produce a wider part than when parting the hair on the sides.
Female androgenetic alopecia is usually a slow and gradual process. There are ways to slow the process and minimize the effects.
Essential oil scalp treatments can be helpful as they provide energy and nutrients directly to the follicle and root of hair. Their vasodilating effects  help keep the follicle open and widened.
Trichoscopy is a non-invasive diagnostic technique that can be used by trained professionals to determine percentages of terminal and vellus hairs and to look for other signs of androgenetic alopecia or other types of hair loss.
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

my part
my part  
QUESTION: My part seems to be the same in all areas.  BUt yes I do see these black, thin hairs, I would say intermediate hairs?? But what is a normal ratio then, if everyone has "some" vellus/intermediate hairs on their scalp, on top of their head.  what would be a normal ratio?? That is what I would like to know, so I can kind of judge from my sheds, if I'm having lots of these.  Just in my bangs, my husband can find 10-15 of them, perhaps more if he really looks.  But let's say I wash my hair and shed 80-100 hairs, I will find 3-4 of these hairs in my shed.  So that gives you an idea of my ratio.  This is my part.

Answer
A normal, healthy scalp will have a terminal to vellus ratio of about 7:1. In this case the indeterminate hairs are counted in with the terminal hairs. When the indeterminate hairs are counted in with the vellus hairs the ratio will be about 4:1. If you are finding only 3-4 thin hairs per 80-100 hairs, this would not indicate a problem. If you'd like more information please contact me through my email address in my website.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig