Hair Loss/vellus hairs/thin hairs

Question
Just wondering if I have found a few thin hairs on the top of my head, and even looking like vellus hairs, does that guarantee it's AGA??  I do not see a widening part (I've always had a wide-er part than others) but thank God, I see no change, but I do shed a couple of these vellus-like hairs that are pigmented, very thin, and don't grow very much, 3-5 cm, and we've looked to see where they come from, and we've found a couple in my bangs area.  And other thinner hairs, but thicker hairs throughout/dispersed through my head.  Just wondering, if this is normal to some extent on all heads and people just don't notice or if it automatically means thinning.

Answer
Androgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness (MPB) is responsible for the vast majority of hair loss in men. While there are many possible reasons people lose hair, including serious diseases, reaction to certain medications, and, in rare cases, extremely stressful events, most hair loss in men can be blamed on heredity.

What male pattern baldness sufferers inherit are hair follicles with a genetic sensitivity to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Hair follicles sensitive to DHT begin to miniaturize, shortening the lifespan of each hair follicle affected. Eventually, these affected follicles stop producing cosmetically acceptable hair.

Male pattern baldness is generally characterized with the onset of a receding hairline and thinning crown. Hair in these areas including the temples and mid-anterior scalp appear to be the most sensitive to DHT. This pattern eventually progresses into more apparent baldness throughout the entire top of the scalp, leaving only a rim or "horseshoe" pattern of hair remaining in the more advanced stages of MPB. For some men, even this remaining rim of hair can be affected by DHT.

Vellus hairs are miniaturized hair follicles and this the beginning of male pattern hair loss.
So, if youíre noticing that more and more of your hair is growing as the vellus type, itís likely that youíre experiencing male pattern hair loss. Four in seven of us inherit the predisposition for pattern balding, and it can begin at any point after puberty. A combined hair loss treatment plan that contains the two medications licensed or approved by the UK and US medical regulatory bodies, they are Rogaine and Propecia.

Hair Loss

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>