Hair Loss/Bald patches!!

Question
Balding spot
Balding spot  

Worst side
Worst side  
Hello,
I am desperate for some help regarding my hair loss. I have had CFS for nearly 2 years but my hair has only recently started to fall out. I know this is a common symptom of my condition but as I am 16 and still at school, it has completely ruined my confidence! I wondered if you would be able to suggest some ways to help regrow my hair (it is nearly bald at the front around my face). By the way, I have been tested for iron and ferratin levels and they are normal. I have attached some images so you can see both sides of my head - any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you.

Answer
This kind of anterior hair loss can be an early form of female pattern baldness showing up early due to having a chronic illness. I would suggest two things which you can do which may help. The use of 5% minoxidil lotion applied only once a day to the front fringe every morning as the last thing you do before combing your hair should make the hairs start to grow in thicker in about 3 months. The other thing which should help in two ways is to not wear the ponytail hair style. The stress from tugging on the hairs leads to what is called Traction Alopecia leading to the kind of hair loss you are showing right now. That happens in people without any illness and is due strictly to the hair style used-- commonly around corn row braids- and all across the front with ponytail style hair. Wearing bangs will hide the thinning area in front while you allow the minoxidil stimulate the hairs to grow back stronger. If you both of these things- taking the stress off the hairs by not pulling them back and also stimulating them with 5% Minoxidil my guess is you will see a real change in 3 months.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>