Hair Loss/Cancer risk associated with finisteride/dutasteride

Question
QUESTION: 1) Sir does finisteride/dutasteride increases risk of prostate and male breast cancer?
2)Sir is hairpull test for TE reliable and accurate?
3)If a person just have AGA with no TE, but still he will lose 50--100 hair per day? Correct?
4)Sir do you have any information that when HSC histogen will be available in Asia? And when will FDA approve dutasteride for AGA?

ANSWER: 1) Sir does finisteride/dutasteride increases risk of prostate and male breast cancer?
  NO

Yes, if done by a dermatologist who does them frequently and consistently.

Correct
Chapter 2: Normal Hair Growth
On average, young people with a full head of dark-colored hair have about 100,000 hair follicles on their scalp. Redheads often have slightly more than 100,000 scalp hair follicles, while blondes typically have fewer hair follicles. On average, about fifty to 100 hair follicles end the anagen phase each day, which is when the follicle begins to loosen its “grip” on the hair shaft, and the hair may be shed. Therefore shedding fifty to 100 hairs on any particular day is perfectly normal. Of course, about fifty to 100 hair follicles also re-enter the anagen phase each day, and begin growing new hairs as well, but this is less noticeable.

No, and no ( I would guess dutasteride for AGA approval will happen in another three years).

QUESTION: 1)Sir minoxidil and betameethasone dipropinate mixture i shall use in morning (1ml) and in evening i shall use just plan minoxidil (1ml). Correct?

2)Sir in CTE , does one shed more than 50-100 hairs per day?

3)Sir i m norwood scale 2A, but now i can also see the thinning beyond these areas , but as i have started taking medicines now so if in next few month my hairloss gets stabilized , and if i have good density donor area then can i restore my lost hair through hair transplant?

4)If someone gets itching with the use of minoxidil then what shall he do?

5) Can AGA be stabilized /halted with the use of finisteride/dutasteride and minoxidil?

ANSWER: ON: 1)Sir minoxidil and betameethasone dipropinate mixture i shall use in morning (1ml) and in evening i shall use just plan minoxidil (1ml). Correct?
 No-- I have my patients use the 5% minoxidil + BV mix twice a day

Yes

Yes - but I there is a good chance you will not have to consider hair transplantation

STOP using it

YES and if it does you do not need hair transplants.

QUESTION: Sir as i discussed with you earlier that I have AGA as baldness runs in family. And I have norwood class 2A. Sir I started taking medicnes around 3 months earlier.I do not remember that before using the hairloss medicines how much hair i used to shed every day. But now I observe that I m shedding around 50-100 hair s per day . Also hair pull test which i have done by myself is been negative. Sir the thing is that can it be possible that i also had CTE along with AGA, but now as i have started taking finiseride/dutasteride and minoxidil so this may have slow down my CTE, but now i m loosing 50-90 hairs per day which you said that is normal. So Sir does I need to go for labortory investigations and x rays etc to find that whether i have CTE or not? Or shall i just continue using the hair loss medicines, as my hair pull test is negative and i m losing 50-90 hair per day while on hairloss medicines

Answer
It would seem from what you have written that you have inherited male pattern baldness and may have had an episode of a TE which has resolved. I can not see any reason to do more tests. Your own pull test wold indicate you do not have CTE. Stay on the hair loss medications and be patient. It takes 4 to 6 months to see hairs change their grow cycles with new hairs coming out.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>