Hair Loss/finsiteride and dutasteride

Question
Hello Dr Peter, Sir i have male pattern baldness and have lost my hair on temples and frontal area. But its NOT norwood type 3. Sir from november 2014 i have started taking finisteride 1 mg daily and using minoxidil 5% twice daily. Sir in august 2015 i want to have hair transplant surgery on my temples and frontal area because in the beginning 0f 2016 I will be marrying. Sir ,but before hair transplant surgery which i will be having in august 2015, i want to regrow my hair through the use of finisteride, dutasteride and minoxidil as much as possible and then in august 2016 i will have hair transplant surgery.Sir I want to ask that since november 2014 i m taking finisteride 1 mg daily so now in feb 2015 if i start adding dutasteride 0.5mg in incremental way with my daily finisteride e.g in the first month i take one Avodart a week while taking 1mg Finasteride 6 days a week , in the second month i take 2 avodart pills a week while taking 1mg finisteride 5 days a week, and then continue this same 5 finisteride pills per week and 2 avodart pills per week till july 2015, so can i do so? Also as finisteride prevents shockloss of hair transplant, so does combination of 5 finisteride 1mg pills per week and 2 avodart 0.5mg pills per week also prevents shockloss of hair transplant?

Answer
Robert,
 Adding Avodart gradually to your program of prevention of male pattern baldness seems to me to be a good way to lower your DHT gradually so as not to get side effects. I have patients start taking Avodart this way after being on Finasteride daily for years and finding it has not stopped the baldness in them.  
 You can continue to take Finasteride on the days you are not taking Avodart. If you take the 5mg Finasteride 4 to 5 days a week you can take the Avodart 3 or 2 days a week. Eventually you may want to alternate taking Finasteride on one day and Dutasteride the next. That seems to work well in many patients.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>