Hair Loss/flakey scalp + hairloss

Question
QUESTION: after six month of treatment from aplecia (hair loss) and dandruff also itchy scalp , hair loss return again and also not only dandruff but also a white flakes on my scalp , when I to etch my scalp I found a whitey paste sticked on my whole scalp also the itching scalp return again  , the doctor change the medical shampoo and told me to continue minoxidil spray and franstride medicine

my question

does scalp dandruff flakes may a cause for hair loss ?

does I ll take franstride and minoxidil for my whole entire life to stop hair losing ?

does weakness of immune system may cause hairless regarding that I m yield to blood test and the analysis stated that I have weakness on immunity ?

thanks and best regards

ANSWER: There are several different skin conditions which can cause an itchy scaly scalp. The most common one is dandruff or Seborrheic Dermatitis and when it gets severe sometimes dermatologists will use an anti yeast medication to kill the yeast that causes the problems. The most commonly used medication is ketoconizole 200mg daily for two weeks and the use of a 2% keotconizole cream applied at night and a ketoconizole shampoo used every day in the morning. Nearly half the population has dandruff and some have a mild case and some severe. Talk to your dermaologist about the treatment I suggested.
 Male pattern baldness is also a very common problem so you most likely have both conditions. Seborrheic Dermatitis - dandruff- rarely causes more hair loss.

I suggest you continue trying to treat your male pattern baldness with finasteride. Maybe stop the minoxidil for a month. There are about 2% of patients who react with a dermatitis to the minoxidil lotions. You may want to apply it to only one side of your head and see if the dermatitis gets better on the side where you do not use it. Also apply it behind your ear. If you get a rash there then you can tell your doctor you are allergic to the lotion.

QUESTION: hello dear thank you for your answer

1- about dermatitis , regarding to your answer as it it rarely cause hairless , does it may be the yeast formed on my scalp clogged hair follicles to grow , because I have more yeast and itching on my scalp  , please comment

2- I used minoxidil one time , I spray 6 splashes on my head on different side on my head after a while I felt with heating on my head , with small dizzy feeling , my temperature body arise , so I scared and didnt put it again , whats your opinion ?

3- you didn't answer me about weakness of immune system can cause hair loss ?

thanks and best regards

ANSWER: 1. Itchy scalp is a common symptom of seborrheic dermatitis. It may be due to the by products of the yeast feeding on the oil in the sebaceous glands and then leaking through the lining of the oil glands and causing a mild irritation. You can see redness and flaky skin as a result and this irritation is what causes the itch.

2. Minoxidil applied topically can have several side effects. An increased heart rate and a drop in blood pressure are some of the side effects. I suggest you do not use it again.

3. I am not sure what you mean by weakness of the immune system. There are many diseases which are a result of the immune system not working properly. When the body is stressed from any reason-- infection, broken bones, hear attack, having general surgery done-- the actively growing hairs in ANAGEN phase stop growing and got into CATAGEN and then TElOGEN phase and fall out one month after the stress to the hair and then you can see them restart growing out another 6 to 8 weeks later. So an illness due to weakness of the immune system could cause hair loss but it depends on how severe it is.

QUESTION: the doctor said that the blood picture stated that , one of red or white blood cells are large or small ?

because I didn't remember precisely , please as you an expert you know which blood cells whether red or white ll refer to weakness on immune system

at all thanks and best regards

Answer
I would assume he meant you had a low white cell count but that doesn't mean you have a disease or immune illness. You may have had a viral infection which temporarily lowered the white cell count. Even with a permanent low white cell count you should not be losing hair.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>