Hair Loss/Genetic hair loss

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr Peter. Sir if suppose a person has male pattern baldness and for its treatment he is taking oral finsteride/dutasteride and topical minoxidil. Now suppose this person also has an underlying medical condition for e.g Inflammatory bowel disease but either if he is not aware that he has inflamatory bowel disease or suppose he knows that he have IBD but he is not taking medicines for the treatment of IBD , in both these cases will his genetic hairloss accelerates or not if  he is regularly taking finidteride/dutasteride and minoxidil?

ANSWER: I can think of no reason why topical minoxidil or oral dutasteride / finasteride could possibly affect an underlying medical condition.
I have never heard of a case where they were involved in making IBD worse.  
Chronic illnesses lead to Chronic Telogen Eflluviums which can lead to male pattern baldness showing up earlier than usual.
Taking the medications topical minoxidil or oral dutasteride / finasteride will help maintain hairs which are weak and therefore will help keep your existing hair.. These medication help prevent male pattern baldness whether you are sick or not.

QUESTION: So Dr Peter if suppose I m sick because of IBD but suppose I do not know that I have IBD or even if I know that I have IBD but I m not taking medicines for its treatment, in both cases my genetic hairloss will not accelerate na if I am regularly taking finisteride/dutasteride and minoxidil? I mean to ask that if I m regularly taking finisteride/dutasteride and minoxidil so my genetic hairloss will not accelerate na because of untreated underlying medical condition (i.e IBD)?

ANSWER: In Chapter 4 of my book "Hair Loss Answers" which can be read for free online by clicking on my book shown on my homepage www.hairdoc.com
http://www.hairdoc.com/hair-loss-answers/
"Chapter 4 – Other Hair Loss Causes
In most cases of telogen effluvium, the hair follicles recover and soon shift back to the regular growth cycle.
However, repeated instances of telogen effluvium can result in premature hair loss in people predisposed to lose their hair late in life. The average growth cycle of a hair follicle takes about five years, but each follicle is “genetically programmed” for only a limited number of growth cycles. For example, if a particular hair follicle were “genetically programmed” for only ten growth cycles, after about fifty years that follicle would stop producing new hairs. When all the follicles at the hairline or crown of the head are “genetically programmed” this way, a receding hairline or bald spot appears after all the growth cycles for the follicles in those areas have been cycled through.

Each incidence of telogen effluvium uses up one “life” of the affected hair follicles. So instead of having a receding hairline or bald spot at age fifty, the hair loss may occur a few years earlier. This is not a significant issue if telogen effluvium occurs once or twice in a lifetime; however, accelerated hair loss can result from repeated severe stressful events, if each instance triggers a new round of telogen effluvium.

I had a patient who was totally bald when I met him at age seventy, and he had lost all his hair by age twenty-two. He had worked on the Panama Canal fifty years earlier, and for two straight years starting when he was twenty he suffered repeated bouts of severe fever from episodes of malaria. Each time he suffered from malaria induced fever he experienced telogen effluvium, lost what hair he had, and his hair follicles lost another “life.” After ten or fifteen malaria stress cycles, at the age of twenty-two, he had the hair he would have had at age seventy. Which unfortunately for him was no hair at all. "

So to answer your question again in a different way. Any kind of stress including IBD will lead to frequent episodes of Telogen Effluvium and that can lead to hair loss which can not be stopped by taking finasteride or dustasteride of minoxidil lotion. But -all three of those medications help the hair to grow so in some cases of mild stress the TE can be reversed by the medical treatment.  Some patients notice they get a bit thinner but if the condition is chronic and severe it could lead to total baldness as described in Chapter 4 of my book.

QUESTION: Dr Peter , as I said I have genetic hairloss, and If suppose I have an underlying medical condition such as IBD and I m not taking medicines for its treatment, so will the untreated IBD accelerates my genetic hairloss in genetically programmed areas of scalp, even if I m regularly taking finisteride/dutasteride and minoxidil?

Answer
Robert ,
 I understood the question. You have both inherited male pattern baldness and an illness which can cause stress to the body resulting in Telogen Effluviums.
You question can  taking finisteride/dutasteride and minoxidil help?

Yes-it does help any inherited male pattern baldness issues,

Yes- It helps to slow down the loss due to Chronic TEs but -NO ONE CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE AND TELL YOU how much stress your hairs will be subjected to and at what point even the medications will not be able to keep them growing.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>