Hair Loss/scalp scabs

Question
Hi

I have noticed lately that I have developed scabs on my scalp. I am suffering from hair loss, this has stopped but has not grown back. My ferritin is around 60 and I am still taking the iron. I am worried about the scabs, there are about 5-6 scabs. I have checked them out at the doctors and they said it was a fungal infection and prescribed Nizoral. This is not helping and I want the scabs to fall off. they don't seem to want to go. I have read that putting coconut oil on the scabs will help to loosen this, is this true, or will it make it worse because its oil and this may aggravate the problem. I also do not want to use a medicated shampoo because of the all the chemicals. I am using an organic shampoo is this okay? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hello Zara: How was your fungal infection diagnosed? Were you taking oral or topical Nizoral? Did the hair loss coincide with scalp scabs? Do the sores hurt or itch? Coconut oil has anti-fungal properties. There is no harm in using coconut oil on your scalp. Coconut oil can be healing,nourishing and soothing to the scalp. Fungal and bacterial scalp infections must be treated. If the infection spreads or invades deeply into the follicles more damage can occur.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig