Hair Loss/hair follicles

QUESTION: I have these two hair follicles that I've been watching for 6 months now.  It's because they have no hair in them and look like a teeny tiny "bald spot where a hair is missing."  I was hopeful though because they have a definite hair follicle there and at first they were transparent, three months ago, they changed and now have a "black" color in the middle and look like lifted hair follicles. but now, here it is six months ago from when I noticed them and still no hair, thin nor thick, nada.  Is there any hope or does this mean I'm losing hair follicles???

ANSWER: The black dot in the middle would most likely either be the start of a new hair that is emerging, or a hair that has broken off a scalp level. It would be best to have a specialist examine your scalp as it is nearly impossible to actually see and watch the activity of a single follicle without the aid of high powered microscope. The specialist could examine your entire scalp in places on your head that you cannot see, to determine if other follicles are empty, have breakage at scalp level or new hair emerging.  That way you can get a better idea of what might be going on.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

QUESTION: Thanks so much Melanie
Where do I find a specialist like what you describe?? The dermatologists don't do anything like that.  If you have links to where I can find a specialist like that I would appreciate it. thanks
and just for your opinion if you know: IF it is a new hair that is emerging (which is what it looks like sincerely) could it take 6-7 months for it to emerge?? Just curious.

Hello Andrea: No the new hair would not take 6-7 months to emerge. Once a new hair permeates the scalp, it grows approximately 1/2 inch per month. Some dermatologists have experience with hair loss but most focus mainly on skin. You would have to check with each one until you find one who has the experience and expertise. or  you could look for a trichologist to work with. Trichologists specialize in scalp and hair disorders.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.