Hair Loss/any hope?

Question
QUESTION: I have these two hair follicles that I've been watching for 6 months now.  It's because they have no hair in them and look like a teeny tiny "bald spot where a hair is missing."  I was hopeful though because they have a definite hair follicle there and at first they were transparent, three months ago, they changed and now have a "black" color in the middle and look like lifted hair follicles. but now, here it is six months ago from when I noticed them and still no hair, thin nor thick, nada.  Is there any hope or does this mean I'm losing hair follicles???

ANSWER: Andrea,
 If possible send me a close up photo of the hair follicles. I am having a difficult time trying to visualize where these hairs are located and what they look like. When hairs reach their last cycles -just before dying out completely-they become fine light colored hairs which only grow a fraction of an inch long. This could be the sign of hairs dying in that area- the first sign of inherited patterned baldness.

QUESTION: I will try and send a picture, but I don't know if it's possible., so I will give you a bit more info.  These follicles are not together, they are two separate locations right at the top center of my head, and towards my forehead a bit, like in the "bangs" area.  They look like "slightly" lifted hair follicles/pimples with a black dot in the center.  No hair from them.  They look like they are ready to "explode a hair" out, but it's been months and nothing.

Answer
Considering there are tens of thousands of hairs on the top of your head it would not seem to be a significant issue to worry about if you have found two which are not growing. The opening to a hair follicle is a tiny pore less than 1mm diameter. My advice is to forget about it and let the hair grow out on its own. If this continues to bother you then a visit to a dermatologist is in order to find out if in fact there is something abnormal which needs treatment. If after an examination by a dermatologist you are told there is nothing wrong with the scalp and hairs you should relax and leave the hair growth to resume normally.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>