Hair Loss/Permanent hair loss postpartum?

Hairloss at top of head
Hairloss at top of hea  

Side hairloss
Side hairloss  
I'm a 30 year old female - 10 months postpartum. I had been in birth control for 10 years prior to getting pregnant. I got pregnant only a couple months after stopping bc. During pregnancy I noticed hair loss and breakage and was surprised because most women have thicker hair when pregnant but I figured it was due to my very low iron and thought it would grow back postpartum.

3 months after delivery I had excessive hair loss - all over but especially in the front and temples. while the excessive shedding stopped around 6 months my hair became very dry and brittle and Contined to break/shed in lesser amount. I also developed extremely itchy scalp at crown. I noticed that my part line has become more obvious and crept down the back of my head and I can also see my scalp at the front of my head.

While I have seen some regrowrh (particularly at the temples) it is not nearly enough to make up for the loss and my wide parting is no better. I went to my gp for blood work last week. My ferritin score was 35 and tsh was 8. So he put me on iron supplements and synthroid and said this should change the hairloss. But I'm nervous that since my hairloss seems to be so centered at the front and top of my head that it might be AGA? Is it possible that it is thyroid related even with this kind of hairloss pattern? Will it improve? My dad had thick head of head and is only recently thinning a little (barely visible) at 60. My mum has a full head of hair as does uncles. Even with this in mind is it more likely to be AGA? I'm so anxious.

It is possible you are showing early signs of AGA. Being on birth control pills many times stops the progression of AGA and it is true that during pregnancy many women experience less loss and thickening of the hair however it is very common to have what seems to be excessive hair loss for a few months starting about a month after delivery. At three months post delivery there is no reason to assume you are not just having what is called Post -Partum Telogen Effluvium. This form of Telogen Effluvium is self limited and your hair will begin to thicken up in another six months.
 I doubt your serum ferritin had much to do with this loss. It is possible that the thyroid needed to be put in normal range  but that too is not likely to cause you to continue to thin.
My suggestion is to stop worrying. The hairs are in transition and could take another few months before being seen to grow as fine wispy hairs. Since they only grow at 1/2 inch per month it will be a year before the hairs are six inches long. You will have to be patient. When you finish breast feeding you can start applying 5% minoxidil lotion (Romaine) once a day in the morning to speed the regrowth of the hairs which are growing back.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website