Hair Loss/Alpecin caffeine liquid

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr Peter

a) Sir does alpecin caffeine liquid stimulates hair regrowth in patients with male pattern baldness? This is the link to the website
http://www.alpecin.co.uk/en/products/liquid.html

b) Does Avodart 0.5 mg cause any type of cancer?

c) I wash/shampoo my hair in morning , then I apply minoxidil 5% spray and then in evening without washing my hair I directly apply a spray containing zinc 3%, so will zinc degrade minoxidil or minoxidil degrade zinc?

ANSWER: a)  There are many mild irritants which can stimulate mild growth of hair. Just rubbing the hairs can make them slightly longer and thicker so I am not surprised that someone decided to use this mix. I would not use it nor prescribe it for my patients when I know there are better options.

2. NO

3)  By the time you have sprayed the minoxidil it has already gotten down inside the skin and into the hair follicles. I would not worry about what degrades what when you use is as you do. The problem would develop if you mixed them all in the same bottle and let it sit for a long while. Then you would see chemical reactions which would degrade the product.

QUESTION: 1)Dr peter ,does a spray containing 0.1% copper and 1% zinc would be beneficial to use in Androgenic alopecia?

2)Between the 2 below options which one would be more better in terms of saftey profile
a) To take finisteride 5 mg daily,
b) To take 1 mg finisteride 6 days a week and 0.5 mg avodart 1 day a week?

Which option would be more better in terms of saftey profile? And in both the cases how much dht will approx be lowered?

3) Some doctors like Dr William Rassmann says that it is finisteride which mainly plays an important role in preventing shockloss of hair transplant of existing hair, and minoxidil has little or no role in preventing shockloss of existing hair. What is your opinion on it?

Answer
1)  I think the 1% zinc salt would be preferable in knocking out the 5 alpha reductase enzyme and therefore work best for AGA

2) The safety profile would be the same in both options EXCEPT that dutasteride has a 5 week half life and if you wanted to stop it because of a side effect you would have to wait a much longer time for it to get out of your system. Both options are going to lower your DHT about 72%

3) I think minoxidil is more important in the shock loss seen after surgery since it acts as a crutch or booster to the growing hairs, whereas lowering the DHT with finasteride is a long term treatment to prevent future loss.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>