Hair Loss/Hairline

Question
hairloss
hairloss  
hairloss
hairloss  
QUESTION: Hi Dr Peter

1) Dr, I have lost my hairline and temples, Can these be regrown to some extent with the use of finisteride/dutasteride and minoxidil? I have attached the pics

2) Can one take 1mg finsiertide 6 days a week and 0.5 dutatseride 1 day a week and stick remain on this protocol forever if he is getting good results with it? Or is it necessary to increase 1 dutasteride and decrease 1 finsiteride every month?

3) Between oral DHT blockers (finisteride/dutasteride) and topical hair stimulators (minoxidil) , which one is more better for preventing shockloss of hair transplant of existing hair? Minoxiidl OR finisteride/dutasteride?

ANSWER: 1. I have many patients who lost hairs in the past few years in the area you have described notice regrowth six months after starting the same regimen of oral finasteride / dutasteride + minoxidil topically that you are currently doing.
2. You will have to wait and see. 90 to 95% of men will do very well with the protocol you are currently on.

3. Minoxidil is more effective than the DHT suppressors in preventing shock loss ( Loss after surgery).

QUESTION: 1) Dr Peter as per your recommendation i will remain stick to the medicines for 6-12 months to see the results, but if suppose i do not get regrowth in these areas with the medicines in 6-12 months and then i decide to have a hair transplant in these areas, so can i opt for hair transplant in these areas? I can also see thinning/minitiarzation beyond the hairline and temples, but if i keep on taking finisteride/dutasteride so will these medicines will prevent/minimize shockloss of existing minitiarized/thinning hairs beyond hairline and temples? Assuming that i m allergic to minoxidil and can just take finsiteride/dutasteride

2) Secondly ,Can one remain stick on this protocol of 1mg finisteride 6 days a week and 0.5mg dutasteride 1 day a week forever lifelong without changing anything in it if he is getting good results with it?

Answer
1. Yes you can always do hair tranplants later if needed. Yes the medication should help behind the front lines as well. Yes - if allergic to minoxidil you can just take the pills probably with very good results.

2- Fourthly- You can take these medications decades. I have patients who have kept their hairlines with finasteride and topical minoxidil for over 20 years with no evidence of hair loss.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>