Hair Loss/Hairloss

Question
QUESTION: Sir i did not understand. If along with male pattern baldness, if one have nutritional deficiencies then these deficiency would definitely cause telogen effluvium na(Acute/chronic)? and it would cause positive hair pull test na?

ANSWER: Not all cases of nutritional deficiencies will cause hair loss.

If the nutritional deficiency is severe enough it may cause a telogen effluvium.

If you have a TE you will lose more than 100 hairs per day and the pull test will be positive.

It is possible to have a nutritional deficiency which is not acute or severe enough to affect the hairs.

It is possible to have  a nutritional deficiency and inherited male pattern baldness with one condition not affecting the other.

QUESTION: Sir if suppose some one has nutritional deficiency and this nutritional deficiency is accelerating/increasing male pattern baldness , so in this case there would definately be telogen effluvium na (because of nutritional deficiency) which is accelerating/increasing male pattern baldness?

Or is it also possible that a person's male pattern baldness is increasing because of nutritional deficiencies but without having telogen effluvium?

Answer
This will have to be the last of the follow up questions:

Yes, it is possible that a nutritional deficiency could cause male pattern baldness to worsen without seeing a Telogen Effluvium. It could be due to a gradual slow increased loss which is at the upper end of normal loss. The nutritional deficiency could cause hairs to fall early in their cycle so they do not grow for a full 5 years and the inherited male pattern baldness could prevent the next cycle from growing.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>