Hair Loss/Hairloss and Hashimottos [Thyrid} Disease

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I am a 53 year old woman who has lost 60% of my hair over the last 7 years. I do have Hashimottos disease, but I am on Nature Throid and my numbers are all in the normal range. I also have had a complete hysterectomy. I am not sure if my overall hair loss is a combination of things but it has ruined my life. I do take supplements, have had my ferritin, D, levels checked and they are all normal. I would be very greatfull if you could recommend something that might help. I have purchased numerous hair loss remedies to no avail. I also have a Theradome laser helmet that I have used, but have seen no results. Thank you Sue

ANSWER: Hello Sue: Do you know what type of hair loss you are experiencing? Have you been experiencing excessive daily shedding on a continual basis for seven years? Is he hair loss fairly even from all over the scalp? Or, are there any areas of more prominent thinning or balding? This information will help me get a better idea of what might be going on? Please reply back with a follow up question.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuensig

QUESTION: Hello Melanie,
In response to your question, I have had a slow and continual thinning over the past 7 years. I live in a very small town and there are no experts to diagnose my hair loss. I have no itching or scalp irritations. My hair loss was a bit more steady before I started taking Thyroid medication. But I do know that Thyroid medication can cause hair loss. What type doctor would you recommend that could get to the root cause of my hair loss? Where are you located? I am truly desperate to find a answer for this. I have just started using the Jojoba oil, rosemary, lemon balm, and cedarwood oils in hopes that might work. Once again, any suggestions that you would have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sue

Answer
Slow and continual thinning, without excessive shedding is most often a characteristic of androgenetic alopecia, especially if the thinning is mostly on top/center of head. Androgenetic alopecia is common after hysterectomy. With androgenetic alopecia the hair follicles become a little narrower with each new hair growth cycle.The narrower follicle produces a thinner hair. The thinner hairs provide less scalp coverage. When the center part is widened but the side parts are not, is often a sign of androgenetic alopecia.
Hair loss is common with any type of thyroid disorder. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an autoimmune condition. It is important to treat the immune system. With autoimmune disorders the immune system must be kept calm and balanced. It is important to determine and avoid the triggers that activate the condition. Gluten intolerance/sensitivity is common with Hashimoto's. Some experts recommend a 100% gluten free diet for Hashimoto's.
Hashimoto's and alopecia areata are sometimes associated. Although your hair loss does not have the common characteristics of alopecia areata (bald patches) there are some variations of alopecia areata that cause diffuse hair loss.
Your hair loss, according to your description, sounds more like androgenetic alopecia. For an accurate diagnosis, I would recommend seeing a dermatologist who is experienced and knowledgeable in hair loss. You may have to call around to find one that truly has experience in hair loss.
Feel free to send more information.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig