Hair Loss/Inherited hairfall, abdominal cramps/pain

Dr, I have abdominal cramps/pain for around 6 months. I also have inherited hairloss for around last 3 years. Is it possible that my abdominal pain can increase my inherited hairloss but without causing telogen effluvium?

ANSWER: Yes it is  it possible that you abdominal pain can increase your inherited hairloss but without causing telogen effluvium.

If you look at the last fifteen posts on this forum you will find most of them were about this subject.

QUESTION: Yes I saw some post but in those posts you have mentioned that abdominal pain/cramps can cause stress to body and can lead to chronic telogen effluvium and this can increase male pattern baldness. In the answer you have mentioned that it would cause chronic telogen effluvium which may increase genetic hair loss?

You can read about what chronic telogen hair loss can do to make male pattern baldness show up early in Chapter 4 of my book "Hair Loss Answers" which you can read for free online at

Chapter 4 – Other Hair Loss Causes

In most cases of telogen effluvium, the hair follicles recover and soon shift back to the regular growth cycle.

However, repeated instances of telogen effluvium can result in premature hair loss in people predisposed to lose their hair late in life. The average growth cycle of a hair follicle takes about five years, but each follicle is “genetically programmed” for only a limited number of growth cycles. For example, if a particular hair follicle were “genetically programmed” for only ten growth cycles, after about fifty years that follicle would stop producing new hairs. When all the follicles at the hairline or crown of the head are “genetically programmed” this way, a receding hairline or bald spot appears after all the growth cycles for the follicles in those areas have been cycled through.

Each incidence of telogen effluvium uses up one “life” of the affected hair follicles. So instead of having a receding hairline or bald spot at age fifty, the hair loss may occur a few years earlier. This is not a significant issue if telogen effluvium occurs once or twice in a lifetime; however, accelerated hair loss can result from repeated severe stressful events, if each instance triggers a new round of telogen effluvium.

I had a patient who was totally bald when I met him at age seventy, and he had lost all his hair by age twenty-two. He had worked on the Panama Canal fifty years earlier, and for two straight years starting when he was twenty he suffered repeated bouts of severe fever from episodes of malaria. Each time he suffered from malaria induced fever he experienced telogen effluvium, lost what hair he had, and his hair follicles lost another “life.” After ten or fifteen malaria stress cycles, at the age of twenty-two, he had the hair he would have had at age seventy. Which unfortunately for him was no hair at all.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website