Hair Loss/Minoxidil

1) If someone is allergic to minoxidil, then instead of minoxidil which topical shall he use in order to stimulate hair regrowth in AGA patients.Oral finisteride/dutasteride I am already taking.

2) By taking 1mg finisteride and 0.5mg dutasteride alternate days, how much dht is approx. lowered?

3) If a person is not using minoxidil, and is taking only oral finisteride and dutasteride, then does the combination of oral finisteride and dutasteride prevents shockloss of hair transplant?

ANSWER: 1, If someone is allergic to minoxidil the only other way to stimulate hair to grow would be to use a topical prostaglandin lotion such as Latisse used for eyelashes and eyebrows. This has not yet come to market as a topical scalp lotion. Low Level Laser Light Treatment with something such as a LaserCap or Capillus Cap is another way to stimulate hairs to grow.

2. DHT is lowered 80% taking dutasteride every other day. By alternating it with 1 mg finasteride you can lower it another 3 to 4 %.

3. Yes, but not as well.

QUESTION: 1) Dr Peter there is peptide hair stimulating solution renokin, here is the link to the website and its ingredients

What are your views on it?

2)Dr peter can one use a spray containing  3% zinc , 3% vit b6 and provit b5  along with oral finisteride and dutasteride combination?

3) I am using minoxidil 5% liquid for last 4 months but i m experiencing itching because of minoxidil. If suppose I am allergic to minoxidil, and after using minoxidil if i m getting side effect of itching but still if i wish to continue using minoxidil as it is fda approved, so can minoxidil accelerates my hairloss or cause telogen/anagen effluvium because of minoxidil allergy?

1. There are a number of hair products using plant peptides which have been found to stimulate hair follicles and they may well work for many people BUT I have not yet seen any double blind studies published in any medical journals proving one of these products works. I would have no objections to my patients trying these products to see if they help. It is difficult to attribute success to the use of these products if one uses many other known treatments as well at the same time.

2. It would seem the combination spray you have suggested would work well but it should be applied to the scalp and not the hair shafts.

3. Test the current lotion by applying it behind one ear and above one elbow twice a day for three days to see if you develop an itch at those sites. If so you may well be allergic to minoxidil. IF you are the allergic reaction may be causing more harm than the stimulation by minoxidil so the net effect may be negative.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website