Hair Loss/avodart and morning wood

Question
Dr. Panagotacos,
I used finasteride for over 8 years. During that time it was very rare for me to have morning erections when I woke up. Now I alternate finasteride and avodart daily and I have noticed a big increase in morning erections. What would explain this? Can this imply I am a non responder to avodart? Thanks

John

Answer
Avodart alternating with Finasteride will lower your DHT 85%. I would expect better results with Avodart taken every other day which will lower your DHT by 80% than taking 1mg Finasteride daily which lowers your DHT 66%.  Your decrease in hair loss will respond directly to how much your DHT is lowered.
   I have had some men have less problems with ED taking Avodart twice a week vs Propecia daily probably because Avodart lowers DHT by blocking both Type I and Type II 5 alpha reductase and much off Type I is in the skin. It may be the receptors in your brain are more attuned to Type II response and Finsteride blocks them
 Or perhaps there is some other explanation for the morning erections, such as a change in life style.
I would be happy you are having fewer side effects with a medication which should give better results.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>