Hair Loss/Betamethasone valerate for thicker hair

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr Peter

I read in your book that the use of Betamethasone valerate/ betamethasone dipropionate lead to thicker hair in patients with AGA. Sir can I take 60 ml of betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% lotion and mix 5-10 crushed propecia tablets in it and then apply this mixture on scalp daily? And would it be effective?

ANSWER: The use of topical betamethasone works by helping prevent scarring of the hair follicles when they change their growth cycles.
Topical lotions with .05 % to .1% finasteride mixed into a betamethaone lotion may help keep hairs growing longer and thicker.

QUESTION: Dr Peter in a country where I live , Topical finasteride is not available here. So I was thinking that can I do like this that I take 60ml  betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% lotion and mix 5-10 crushed propecia tablets in it and then apply this mixture on scalp daily. What do you think, will it work and be effective? Also if I want to mix 5-10 crushed propeica tablets in betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% lotion, so how much ml of betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% lotion shall I take? 20 ml 0r 30 ml 0r 60 ml? what do you say?

Answer
There are no such lotions available in the US either. Some Dermatologists have them made up for their patients. My pharmacist / biochemist makes up a lotion with 5% minoxidil + Betamethasone Valerate0.5%+Finasteride 0.05%.
 For patients who are allergic to minoxidil the lotion is made with more alcohol. I have found these prescription topical lotions to be more effective than plain minoxidil.  
If you were to use 60 ml of betamethasone you could add 40 ml of alcohol to make a 100 ml solution which would still be more than strong enough to apply one ml twice a day to the scalp.  To a 100 ml solution you would only need 5mg of Finasteride dissolved into the lotion.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>